Stocks & Shares ISA Advice

Options
I want to invest some money into shares. I want to buy a small amount of a couple shares (around £1500 in total). And also, I want to invest in an index tracker fund (around £2000). Would it be worth me putting these into a S&S ISA? Or just hold them outright.

I'm guessing the straightforward answer would be to put them into an ISA. However my confusion stems from the fact that S&S ISAs seem to charge an admin fee. E.g. I was looking at Hoodless Brennan for their trading accounts, but the ISA charges an annual fee of £50. Some others charge 0.5% monthly.

Has anyone got a fools guide to Stocks & Shares ISAs? like the one on MSE for cash ISAs.

Are there any best S&S ISAs for my situation?

Comments

• Lansdowne
    Lansdowne Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    You could look at Alliance Trust here:
    http://www.alliancetrust.co.uk/alliancetrustsavings/isa.htm
    They charge £12.50 per deal (buy or sell) rather than a percentage, so they won't be good if you are going to buy small amounts at a time. No hidden charges however.
  • Sparky47
    Sparky47 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    You could also try looking on the Hargreaves Lansdown site, they have a lot of info on S&S ISAs and plenty of research data.:j
  • Kua
    Kua Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Broker offering the lowest per transaction fee - at £10 - without an annual admin charge for an ISA account that I could find was III (I hope that sentence makes sense to you - it isn't well-worded. Ask if you need clarification). So I've just recently opened an account with them.
  • terakris
    terakris Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Sparky47 wrote: »
    You could also try looking on the Hargreaves Lansdown site, they have a lot of info on S&S ISAs and plenty of research data.:j
    Yes but beware, they send out a serious amount of postal spam to you after you fill in their form to download one of their PDF's
    14/12/2009 - Official Debt Free Day
    31/06/2012 - Officially a home owner! Now, where is that Mortgage-Free Wannabe Board... :cool:
    "What the hell is that?" "I don't know, but if cats could sing... they'd hate it too"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure