Halifax ISA Saver Direct 5% rate to be cut

Options

Comments

• mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    derrick wrote:
    No fees, don't forget A&L has a bonus of .7% guranteed, however it's base rate,4.75% can go down, Halifax is fixed for 12 months
    Cheers. It would have to go down half a percent for me to lose out.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheers. It would have to go down half a percent for me to lose out.

Sorry I made a mistake, A&L base rate is 4.5%, therefore the full rate inc bonus is 5.2%
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• zag2me
    zag2me Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whats the procedure for changing to the Halifax fixed rate isa?
    Save save save!!
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Options
    there is a form to fill in - explaining why one can change from normal book based isa to direct isa over phine, but not to a fixed one as you need to sign for new conditions
  • bjp79
    bjp79 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Dumb question I know, but there were a few things I was wondering about...

1. If I swap now, and it goes through before 6th April, will I still get all the interest I have accrued, that would be due to be paid by Halifax on the 6th?

Would the interest be paid up by halifax for the period of the year that I had it with them before the transfer, or would A&L have to pay the interest on behalf of Halifax on the 6th?

2. If the transfer of £3000 goes through to A&L after the 6th of April, would I still be able contribute my £3000 allowance, or does that count as my full quota for 06/07?

Thanks in advance...

Ben
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    bjp79 wrote:
    Dumb question I know, but there were a few things I was wondering about...

1. If I swap now, and it goes through before 6th April, will I still get all the interest I have accrued, that would be due to be paid by Halifax on the 6th?

Would the interest be paid up by halifax for the period of the year that I had it with them before the transfer, or would A&L have to pay the interest on behalf of Halifax on the 6th?

2. If the transfer of £3000 goes through to A&L after the 6th of April, would I still be able contribute my £3000 allowance, or does that count as my full quota for 06/07?

Thanks in advance...
    Ben
    Each bank pays interest for the days funds are with them, no loss of interest either.
    £3000 is the maximum quota anywhere for any tax year.
    ( I thought Halifax paid up on 01/04)
  • bjp79
    bjp79 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Ok... So say I set up the transfer from Halifax to A&L today...

Halifax would pay me what's due in interest on the day that its due to transfer accross to A&L - e.g. If I had the full 12 months of interest on 3k, they'de pay me £3150 (or however much is due) right before it went to A&L... whether its before their 1st April anniversary date?

Say my transfer goes through after the tax d-day - would I still be allowed my 3k to contribute in the 06/07 financial year - or does a transfer after tax d-day nullify my right to contribute? If I'm going to transfer - is it essential I do it before the 5/6th April tax day?
  • Lychee
    Lychee Posts: 446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't suppose you can have a Direct ISA AND a Fixed rate ISA? You're not allowed to make additional deposits in the fixed rate after all.
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    derrick wrote:
    No it is a fixed rate for a fixed term, I think you can withdraw money but there are penalties. you can however open a new ISA from April 6th with any provider you want as it will be a new tax year and your new £3000. limit applies

yes, I know that it's a fixed rate and it's for a fixed term but my transfer will take place before 5th April, so from the 6th April I can deposit another £3000 into the Fixed rate ISA. Correct?
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zag2me wrote:
    Whats the procedure for changing to the Halifax fixed rate isa?
    If you have already have a Halifax ISA, you can ring them and transfer it over the phone, I did, today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure