Starting work again

Options
My husband & i currently claim income support, housing benefit & council tax benefit

My hubby claims disability (lower rate)

We have 2 children eldest aged 18, she will start uni in september & a younger aged 14

I would really like to return to work full-time, this will be shop work or something similar, minimum wage i expect

I have had several part-time jobs, but only earned what i was allowed.

Before i look for or accept any jobs i would like to know what benefits we will recieve if i was to start work

Would it be best to go to jobcentre & see an adviser with regard to what we can claim

would we be better off if i worked 16 or 30 hours

hope someone can point me in the right direction
First win 14/12 Playtex bra & Knickers!!!!:beer:
won Rimmel Foundation 08/02:j
Environmental Justice Foundation T-Shirt 11/02:rotfl:

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    artystix wrote: »
    My husband & i currently claim income support, housing benefit & council tax benefit

My hubby claims disability (lower rate)

We have 2 children eldest aged 18, she will start uni in september & a younger aged 14

I would really like to return to work full-time, this will be shop work or something similar, minimum wage i expect

I have had several part-time jobs, but only earned what i was allowed.

Before i look for or accept any jobs i would like to know what benefits we will recieve if i was to start work

Would it be best to go to jobcentre & see an adviser with regard to what we can claim

would we be better off if i worked 16 or 30 hours

hope someone can point me in the right direction

Hi there

Good luck with this and I think what you said about speaking to an adviser is a good idea, however I expect there are many on here that will also give you good advice who are used to dealing with these matters.

Meanwhile here is some info on here, hope they give you some idea, good luck.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Employedorlookingforwork/DG_10013908
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Options
    You need to work 30 hours to get tax credits, 16 hours is for single parents.

What are your husbands plans? Is he remaining on benefit or will he be seeking employment?
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • artystix
    artystix Posts: 365 Forumite
    Options
    What are your husbands plans? Is he remaining on benefit or will he be seeking employment?

Its unlikely my husband will ever be able to work full-time again due to his problems & the medications he is on.

In th mean time i have had a job interview with TESCO, I really want to return to work!!
    First win 14/12 Playtex bra & Knickers!!!!:beer:
    won Rimmel Foundation 08/02:j
    Environmental Justice Foundation T-Shirt 11/02:rotfl:
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2009 at 8:06AM
    Options
    artystix wrote: »
    Its unlikely my husband will ever be able to work full-time again due to his problems & the medications he is on.

In th mean time i have had a job interview with TESCO, I really want to return to work!!

So does he claim IB in addition to DLA or will he do so when you get a job?

Good luck with your interview.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zara33 wrote: »
    You need to work 30 hours to get tax credits, 16 hours is for single parents.

It is not just single mums that can work 16 hours to get WTC, a couple with children only have to work 16 hours for entitlement. It is single people who have to work over 30 hours. Each of the couple can work 16 hours each and combined their hours to get the 30 hour WTC bonus.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    It is not just single mums that can work 16 hours to get WTC, a couple with children only have to work 16 hours for entitlement. It is single people who have to work over 30 hours. Each of the couple can work 16 hours each and combined their hours to get the 30 hour WTC bonus.

But, as the OP says her husband can't work, surely she needs to do 30 hours?
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I only work 16 hours Plus have a child - my oh does not work - I get WTC
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 May 2009 at 10:01AM
    Options
    But, as the OP says her husband can't work, surely she needs to do 30 hours?
    If a couple has a dependent child then only one of them have to work 16 hours to get WTC. A couple can not both work to make up the 16 hours it has to be one of them working that amount of hours, though they can both work 16 hours each and their hours will be combined so they can get the 30 hour element.

Source Welfare Benefits Unit. 'Advisers Guide to Benefits and Tax Credits April 2009-2010'. York.

page 65

You can claim WTC if you are working and you are aged 16 or over. You or your partner must be working 16 hours a week or more, on a low enough income and: be a lone parent or a member of a couple with a dependent child.
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Options
    Well you learn something new everyday...thanks for the info :D
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Zara33 wrote: »
    Well you learn something new everyday...thanks for the info :D

Let me add my thanks to that as well, I don't think I'd ever grasped that point. (Possibly because it seems totally illogical!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure