MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Ian hire a waitress who may want kids?

Options

Comments

• ipod_killed_the_musicshop
    Options
    tucks wrote: »
    Absolutely not!

As in he shouldn't hire the waitress?
    Boris Johnson voted against Brexit in the Commons, all to become leader of the Conservative Party. Fall for it and you deserve everything you get.
  • bexlincs1
    bexlincs1 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldnt hire her...
    Allright so he should and its not fair or pc etc etc etc
    ...but ii you had a business that wasnt financially stable you wouldnt take the chance...and if you did then you arent cut out for business!
    He obviously has to do what best for the business otherwise he will go bankrupt - harsh but true...
    Pigsback 236/1000 (£30 vouchers claimed),
    Cashbackkings £10.93 pending (£13 claimed),
    Lightspeed 110 (£8 claimed),
    Onepoll £37.45/£40
    :think:
  • hundredk
    hundredk Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2009 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Leroy_Joe wrote: »
    I've deleted every message I posted on this forum. From the moment I arrived I have been attacked by JuliaJolie (who has not made a single comment even remotely relevant to the topic of the forum). She seems to be a double act with TaffyBiker (Biker or Bicker?), perhaps she's his pillion or sidecar piece, if the rig can carry her. Also by TaffyBiker (suddenly joined by juliaJolie when he couldn't handle robust responses to his abuses) who made perhaps one relevant comment before resorting to abusing other people. If that's a typical example of the Welsh people, you will understand why I won't go there for a holiday. The double act looks like it has become a trio as they are joined by hundredk (who previously seemed to make relevant comment) who is being dragged down by the other two. Pity, I actually thought hundredk was better than that. Everything falls to the quality of the lowest common denominator.

If you read the whole thread you will see my comments are relevant to the original thread or to off topic comments made within the thread. If those observations and opinions offend then I agree you are right not to visit these forums. Your refer to other posters who originally express a different opinion to DC as scum and include me by association? If you had bothered to read the thread and in particular DC's comments, you may have noticed that he came across as patronising, obnoxious and was actually the first to start slagging off Taffybiker.
    I am 75 and semi-retired. I thought this might be a new interest and that my experience might be of some use to people. Being black I have a little experience of prejudice and discrimination in daily life, but having worked for the same company for 25 years, I can say that I have never experienced it at work. I didn't realise that this kind of place attracts such a scum element and that I would be ridiculed right from the start.

The point of forums is for posters to present relevant facts, express opinions and make observations on those opinions. That often means people have a different point of view and sometimes results in comments that posters may take offence to, sulk or even delete posts to avoid retort. This is evidenced in this thread where DC posted pretentious and rude comments early in the post, taffy responded, I commented on the irony of DC's post, you came along backing up DC and delete posts so you do not have to support them.

Leroy, dont throw the black card in as part of the sulk, it's about whats in the posts - tho some may read DC's comments otherwise, but hey that's OK cos you claim to know him and you're black (sorry did claim to know him before you deleted your posts).

I quit. The scum wins (let them gloat) because I won't be back, so I'll never see it.

To the decent people around here, I did enjoy reading your comments..

I'm not quite sure what DC would make of the idea of quitting. I thought you turned negatives to positives with whatever is brought to the table. Seems Taffy is right about you ignoring posts. If it's any help to you you can still read comments without replying or even logging in.
    If you could dump those who are only here to leap onto a comma put in the wrong place and grap a few words out of context to make them say what they were never intended to say in the first place, then you would have a place worth spending a little time in.

This describes DC very well just read his comments "As a white man, I choose not to employ a black man" then hiding behind semantics saying it was illustrative. I you really have quit this forum then DC may struggle to come across as anything other than arrogant and racist to say the least but then he doesn't care anyway.

I'd be interested to know the mindset of a person flying urgently to Hong Kong to offer assistance to a member of staff who has been involved in an accident and has concerns for the children to suddenly think he must tell other posters he may not be around for a while. I must say if I was concerned like that I don't think an internet forum would be at the forefront of my mind. Hence the glib comment that may have pushed you over the edge to delete your posts.
    Options
    bexlincs1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt hire her...
    Allright so he should and its not fair or pc etc etc etc
    ...but ii you had a business that wasnt financially stable you wouldnt take the chance...and if you did then you arent cut out for business!
    He obviously has to do what best for the business otherwise he will go bankrupt - harsh but true...

So because she's recently married that means she wants kids does it eck:mad:
    Boris Johnson voted against Brexit in the Commons, all to become leader of the Conservative Party. Fall for it and you deserve everything you get.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So because she's recently married that means she wants kids does it eck:mad:

Not necessarily but shes more likely to have children than someone else in a different position. Your most likely to have children when you want a family and your more likely to want a family just after marriage. It's a risk for the employer and one that you wouldn't need to take if there were other candidates.

Theres no point stating laws or moral grounds, its fairly obvious this kind of discrimination happens a lot in job applications and there isn't much we can do to stop it.
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Not necessarily but shes more likely to have children than someone else in a different position. Your most likely to have children when you want a family and your more likely to want a family just after marriage. It's a risk for the employer and one that you wouldn't need to take if there were other candidates.

Theres no point stating laws or moral grounds, its fairly obvious this kind of discrimination happens a lot in job applications and there isn't much we can do to stop it.

No but we can make it matter less by doing something about the job shortage in this country.
  • JuliaJolie
    JuliaJolie Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    I've deleted every message I posted on this forum. From the moment I arrived I have been attacked by JuliaJolie (who has not made a single comment even remotely relevant to the topic of the forum). She seems to be a double act with TaffyBiker (Biker or Bicker?), perhaps she's his pillion or sidecar piece, if the rig can carry her. Also by TaffyBiker (suddenly joined by juliaJolie when he couldn't handle robust responses to his abuses) who made perhaps one relevant comment before resorting to abusing other people. If that's a typical example of the Welsh people, you will understand why I won't go there for a holiday. The double act looks like it has become a trio as they are joined by hundredk (who previously seemed to make relevant comment) who is being dragged down by the other two. Pity, I actually thought hundredk was better than that. Everything falls to the quality of the lowest common denominator.

I am 75 and semi-retired. I thought this might be a new interest and that my experience might be of some use to people. Being black I have a little experience of prejudice and discrimination in daily life, but having worked for the same company for 25 years, I can say that I have never experienced it at work. I didn't realise that this kind of place attracts such a scum element and that I would be ridiculed right from the start.

I quit. The scum wins (let them gloat) because I won't be back, so I'll never see it.

To the decent people around here, I did enjoy reading your comments. If you could dump those who are only here to leap onto a comma put in the wrong place and grap a few words out of context to make them say what they were never intended to say in the first place, then you would have a place worth spending a little time in.

I think Martin's site is a valuable resource and I will continue to visit that, just not these forums.

Lol all you did was just parrot back what I said to you!

I am not feeding you, troll. Go away. Back under Butthurt Bridge. Your failboat has sailed.
    :cry::cry::cry: ~ R.I.P Heath Ledger, George Carlin, Stan Winston ~ :cry::cry::cry:
  • hundredk
    hundredk Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    31-05-2009, 12:45 AM #109 hundredk
    MoneySaving Convert
    hundredk wrote: »
    OMG, I hope he can find a wifi zone when he gets there to catch up with this thread.

post_old.gif 29-05-2009, 9:47 AM #87 David Cameron
    MoneySaving Newbie

Last edited by David Cameron; 31-05-2009 at 6:51 PM.. Reason: Not taking the bait !

DC, I hope the employee and kids in Hong Kong are OK and assume this is the case judging by the prompt edit after flying to Hong Kong on the 31st.
  • DavidLaGuardia
    DavidLaGuardia Posts: 603 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2009 at 12:19PM
    Options
    I don't employ anyone who smokes -- or is any other form of junkie for that matter. I don't ask them. There is an ashtray on my desk and a cigarette box and lighter. Partway through the interview I will offer them a cigarette. If they take it and smoke it, they don't get the job. Simple ! If their fingers are stained with nicotine, I don't even need to be that devious. Did you know that many more young women smoke than young men ? Did I reject her because of her child-bearing age and the wedding ring? NO, I rejected her because of the nicotine stains on her fingers !! I employ people with SHARP brains and NOT those with drug befuddled ones! It is MY COMPANY and MY MONEY and MY CHOICE --- and my employees AGREE WITH THAT POLICY !! Is that legal or not? I don't care !
    David,
    One observation is, as work places are non smoking now by law, you are aiding an offence by allowing the candidtate to smoke :D
    I am also intrigued by your conclusions here. How is smoking necessarily a proof of inefficiency in the work place. and What about someone like myself who doesn't smoke during the day but might partake at night. Infact many people are suprised to learn I smoke as I generally keep odour free and have no niccotine stains to offend.
    Yes it's a stupid habit, but it's my burden. A non smoker may have some other greater fault in their personal make up you chose not to consider
    I am interested to learn what reliable evidence you have of its impairment on work? Some people who smoke are lazy and useless as with people who don't, but I have also known incredible high acheivers who are also smokers. As for addling the brain, smoking tobacco has no more effect than certain foods.
  • mark13
    mark13 Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Select the best person for the job considering all factors. I'd say yes, but then I havent seen the other candidates.
    Win Dec 2009 - In the Night Garden DVD : Nov 2010 - Paultons Park Tickets :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport