Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• ktrobinson
    Options
    I understand that but my question is, does it still get wiped even though you have started repaying and a balance remains?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ktrobinson wrote: »
    I understand that but my question is, does it still get wiped even though you have started repaying and a balance remains?

Yes, the outstanding balance is all wiped. This applies as long as you have kept to the terms ie paid repayments when required to.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • JohnMl88
    JohnMl88 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Are you in England?
    Yes, London.
  • anonymoose123
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in a fairly unique position with student loans and was wondering if anyone could advise:

I completed an Undergraduate course at Newcastle University from 2011-2014. This was a Plan 1 course and I took out loans for tuition and maintenance, totaling about £22k for the three years.

I then worked for two years in the UK and abroad. I came back and completed a 2-year Master's Degree in Architecture at the University of Westminster, graduating in July 2018. Architecture courses allow you to continue the Postgraduate degree on the same funding as your Undergraduate degree (if it's within 3 years of finishing undergrad) so I was lucky and continued to pay Plan 1 fees, I also took out a maintenance loan. As of last September my balance on the site is just over £40k.

As part of becoming a professional architect we have one more course, the Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Practice, most commonly called RIBA Part 3. I will be starting in September 2019 and the fees are about £3200 (it's a one-year part time course so I will be working full time throughout).

My question is, can I apply for a loan for the tuition fees? Is it a undergraduate loan or a postgraduate loan and how much would I be able to apply for? Based on my current loan balance being around £40k and current salary of £34k, and my repayment term is 25 years as it's a plan 1 loan, My maths seems like I will probably have some portion of the loan written off, so any extra borrowing at this point would not be paid back? Unless i got a massive salary increase or something.

Thanks in advance for the advice and sorry if this has been addressed already but I couldn't find any answers specific to RIBA Part 3.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My question is, can I apply for a loan for the tuition fees? Is it a undergraduate loan or a postgraduate loan and how much would I be able to apply for? Based on my current loan balance being around £40k and current salary of £34k, and my repayment term is 25 years as it's a plan 1 loan, My maths seems like I will probably have some portion of the loan written off, so any extra borrowing at this point would not be paid back? Unless i got a massive salary increase or something.

There is funding for RIBA 3 as a post graduate degree. See here:

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/fees-and-funding/funding/postgraduate-student-funding

The downside is that repayments for post graduate funding are separate, so you would be paying 6% of earnings over the threshold. You may well find that you would pay that loan off in full, so would be paying a hefty interest rate. It may work out cheaper to borrow elsewhere.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 June 2019 at 3:23PM
    Options
    I completed my degree in 2017 and have been paying back via my employer since 1 April 2018.

I know that repayment updates were only being sent by HMRC to the SLC annually, but I had hoped to see some change to my balance by now - its still stating the total amount owed.

Does anyone know when the HMRC updates usually get updated on my student loan account please? I don't know if they usually appear a bit later in the year? I had hoped that with the new weekly updating it might have been a bit quicker.

Thanks.

ps part of the reason I'm asking is that I want to make sure they haven't missed updating my account in error.
    Mortgage 31May est. £183,500 £244,947, Ends Jan'38 Jun'39 (target Feb'31)
    H2B Loan Est: £75k (accord to NW) - saved for Jun25 so far £15

EF £6,325; Personal savings (PBs/ISA new car fund): £2200
    Check Seven Goals Regularly; Work-life balance.
    Celebrate being 60; Be 'Good Enough'
    Books Read: stuck on no.6 in 2024
  • redherring1
    Options
    Hello,

Please help if you can! I was wondering if anyone had any idea about funding in Scotland for Social Work Postgraduates? There are bursary's but these are not always guaranteed. Therefore does anyone else have any tips for support?

Thanks
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I completed my degree in 2017 and have been paying back via my employer since 1 April 2018.

I know that repayment updates were only being sent by HMRC to the SLC annually, but I had hoped to see some change to my balance by now - its still stating the total amount owed.

Does anyone know when the HMRC updates usually get updated on my student loan account please? I don't know if they usually appear a bit later in the year? I had hoped that with the new weekly updating it might have been a bit quicker.

Thanks.

ps part of the reason I'm asking is that I want to make sure they haven't missed updating my account in error.

Since this is a really busy time of year for HMRC with all the end of year records coming in can be November until all records are up to date.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello,

Please help if you can! I was wondering if anyone had any idea about funding in Scotland for Social Work Postgraduates? There are bursary's but these are not always guaranteed. Therefore does anyone else have any tips for support?

Thanks

Wouldn't you get a postgraduate loan? Not many get the bursary.
  • Kez200
    Kez200 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I've been approached by a young lady who wants to go to University and has excellent A level results already. She says she thinks she cannot afford it and this is why. Can you confirm if my advice is right?

She was removed from one parent by social services aged 16. She is estranged from this parent but hoping to make re-connection as she gets older as she feels she is now no longer at risk. She went to live with her other parent and did A levels - her results were excellent (all academic course A grades). Soon after her results, she moved in with her boyfriend who has a good job and, along with her work in a supermarket, they are fully self sufficient in a rental property. However, if she were to go to University her wage would stop and it would be harder financially (although not impossible because they have some savings which had been earmarked for a house deposit).

If she goes to Uni in September 2019 (she is thinking of applying now to her local University and crossing her fingers she gets a late place as then she won't have to pay extra rental costs as they are settled where they are) they will have been self sufficient for 2.5 years. In addition, her step parent where she lived 16-18 refuses to sign any Student Loan paperwork.

So, I think the options are....

1. Wait and go to Uni in September 2020. Apply in normal round by January 2020. Get SL for tuition fees plus maintenance based on her boyfriend and her income because they will have been self sufficient for 3+ years If she gives up work for Uni which she will have to (or go part time) then this total is likely to be about £30k, or

2. Try to go September 2019. Get tuition fee loan plus the basic maintenance help only as her non-estranged parental unit won't fill out the paperwork as she hasn't been independent for 3+ years.

Am I right in my conclusion?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure