Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    If you look at the gross pay compared to the taxable pay, the difference should be the amount of the pension contributions. Occupational pension contributions are taken off before tax and NI are taken, saving the employee some deductions. Student Finance need to know how much taxable income was received. If there are no pension contributions and no taxable benefits in kind, the gross and taxable figures should be the same.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you look at the gross pay compared to the taxable pay, the difference should be the amount of the pension contributions. Occupational pension contributions are taken off before tax and NI are taken, saving the employee some deductions. Student Finance need to know how much taxable income was received. If there are no pension contributions and no taxable benefits in kind, the gross and taxable figures should be the same.
    That is just it, there is no difference, between the end of March earnings to date (ETD) and Gross taxable pay to that years P60.

With mine this is very clear, as I do not actually earn enough to pay tax as I work part time.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    Do you still have the final payslip for the year in question (week 53 or month 12)? Sometimes the info on pay statements is a bit more detailed.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Options
    Do you still have the final payslip for the year in question (week 53 or month 12)? Sometimes the info on pay statements is a bit more detailed.
    The last monthly pay slip does show all the pension deductions. Had to send this off with the P60.

This is why the way they ask the question on the student loan application is not very helpful. There seems to be no allowances for company pension scheme payments, only private ones.

My Husbands was just the same, taxable pay is before pensions are deducted.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • stulaunch
    stulaunch Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

It is the tax relief bit that I find confusing. I can see the figure she has paid in pension for the year on her week 52 payslip. But does the taxable pay figure include her 20% pension tax relief.
    On my private pension, I use the gross payment, whick is easy to understand.
    Does the fact that she isn't taxed on her pension payments, add up to same as tax relief added.
    Sorry for being so stupid! but just want to be sure I am putting the correct figures in.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Options
    stulaunch wrote: »
    It is the tax relief bit that I find confusing. I can see the figure she has paid in pension for the year on her week 52 payslip. But does the taxable pay figure include her 20% pension tax relief.
    On my private pension, I use the gross payment, whick is easy to understand.
    Does the fact that she isn't taxed on her pension payments, add up to same as tax relief added.
    Sorry for being so stupid! but just want to be sure I am putting the correct figures in.
    There should be a point in the form where you can put pension payments. Use the week 52 pension year to day figure in this box. Then put the taxable pay to date from the P60 in that box. Then at least you are being clear about what has been paid and what the P60 says, plus you have the appropriate proof to back this up.
  • 2narmy
    2narmy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi all

Looking for info on where to start or any advice on funding my sons further education at Berklee college of music.

It looks like a minefield so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you a UK resident? This is a UK-based site and deals primarily with UK queries. If you are, then you won't get any government funding for attending a US college, and I suspect that even the Valencia campus wouldn't be eligible for SFC funding.

For those who don't know Berklee College (as I didn't):

https://www.berklee.edu/
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
  • Freddie_Goodwin
    Options
    I'm a current student in year 3 of a 3 year degree, i.e. I haven't started repaying my student loan yet. When I log into my Student Finance England account I can see the total outstanding balance of my loan but I can't see any detail behind this. Why isn't there an online statement covering the period of my loan showing each loan transaction and each interest transaction?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback