Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• gillsoll
    Options
    I hope that you can help. My daughter is due to restart university tomorrow and is still being messed around by student finance. She started uni in 2010 and my husband died of cancer just weeks after she left to go to uni. She got through the year then had a break down and failed year two uni gave her a second chance as they understood gave her a free gift year which unfortunately she failed again. She got a job and worked for 3 years, I moved abroad to live. She is now ready to go back to uni, applied back to same uni, got in, got email from student finance confirming so she resigned her job, they then say she is not eligible for funding as she had already had 2 years funding but on appeal they realised she had only been funded once as the gift year did not count. So yes she will be funded, then it was off again as I had to submit evidence that I live in a non EU country so cannot help with funding just declared my very small pension in UK. they have lost forms and we have resent them, but still she does not know when she will get money. She has found accommodation near uni but now does not have money to pay. She has had a really hard time and has given up so much for this it just seems everything is against her, is she entitled to anything other than minimum loan and fees? she has just £25 a month for food and living after rent. She was 25 earlier this month.
  • StudentCarer22
    StudentCarer22 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 26 September 2016 at 2:35PM
    Options
    Hi, I am a mature student moving from up north to London. I am also a carer. I have come down to London and left mum on her own, so that I can enrole. I have been living in my car for 6 days now for financial reasons. I will need to find a property to accommodate mum and me fairly quickly for this to work. I have been rejected for a student bank account because of my poor credit rating.
    I will muddle through and make this work but I would be keen to get your advice about loans. SLC have granted me 10500 maintenance but the first payment will not cover setting up accommodation.
    Kind regards
  • CharlesBexley
    CharlesBexley Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 30 September 2016 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Hello

This year I'm studying p/t with the OU and am in the final year of my degree. I have no income and am living with a live-in landlord paying £65/week. Household bills are included (except food, toiletries). Can I claim for any maintenance in this situation?

I tried going f/t with the OU, but if I did this I couldn't get a loan to cover the additional tuition or any maintenance.

I suffer with depression, and if the added pressure of work is placed on my shoulders, I'll go under. I cannot claim for DLA because that's more to do with physical disability... what does someone in my circumstance do?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello

This year I'm studying p/t with the OU and am in the final year of my degree. I have no income and am living with a live-in landlord paying £65/week. Household bills are included (except food, toiletries). Can I claim for any maintenance in this situation?

I tried going f/t with the OU, but if I did this I couldn't get a loan to cover the additional tuition or any maintenance.

I suffer with depression, and if the added pressure of work is placed on my shoulders, I'll go under. I cannot claim for DLA because that's more to do with physical disability... what does someone in my circumstance do?

Thanks

OU students can't get maintenance loans. Some students can claim benefits. If you have a disability you should be claiming ESA, Housing Benefit and possibly PIP.
  • smsousou
    Options
    I understand the income thresholds for repayment and interest rate charged. I am not clear how interest is paid. If for example, a payment is made either because income thresholds are exceeded or even if voluntary, does the payment go against interest or against the amount borrowed? Also, is interest accrued on unpaid interest?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smsousou wrote: »
    I understand the income thresholds for repayment and interest rate charged. I am not clear how interest is paid. If for example, a payment is made either because income thresholds are exceeded or even if voluntary, does the payment go against interest or against the amount borrowed? Also, is interest accrued on unpaid interest?

It goes against interest first but it doesn't really matter as it's all your student loan debt. An yes interest is compounded on interest year on year (however interest is frozen at the start of each tax year until income and any repayments through PAYE are known after the end of the tax year and then any repayments received by SLC from HMRC are applied to your balance to calculate interest as if they were received monthly so any delay in crediting repayments doesn't affect interest).
  • nishcoin1977
    Options
    Hi,
    Pre 1998 student loan, and always earned around £17000 per year.
    I defer every year, but then I moved house and temporarily. lost contact with the student loan company.
    They will not let me defer now, and are chasing me for arrears.
    I am re-mortgaging my house in order to pay credit card debt (£22000), so paying Erudio at this time is a struggle.
    Can you advise.
  • Ed-1
    Options
    Hi,
    Pre 1998 student loan, and always earned around £17000 per year.
    I defer every year, but then I moved house and temporarily. lost contact with the student loan company.
    They will not let me defer now, and are chasing me for arrears.
    I am re-mortgaging my house in order to pay credit card debt (£22000), so paying Erudio at this time is a struggle.
    Can you advise.

Have you read some of this thread? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4923210&page=294

Plenty of pre-1998s having problems with Erudio's tactics. Whilst they may be within their rights here as it's your responsibility to notify Erudio now they own your loan (not SLC) of a change of address and to request a deferment application form to be sent to enable you to defer, the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has been taking a harder line recently of Erudio's unreasonable approach to managing customers' accounts.

e.g. this FOS decision may be of interest as it is similar to yours:
    http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=125484

You need to complain to Erudio, get a final response from them and then go to the FOS who can order Erudio to write off any arrears etc. and put your loan account back to the state it was in had you not changed address if they take a dim view of Erudio's unreasonableness.
  • hc261
    Options
    Hi there,

I am a very grateful recipient on a post graduate student loan which has enabled me to take a place on a masters course.

I am going to receive the loan in three installments as per undergraduate. However the University has requested all students pay up front or sign a credit agreement. The credit agreement will mean I will be charged roughly an extra £250.

What is the reasoning behind not providing the whole loan at the beginning of the year?
    Or is this something I can request?

Thank you in advance
  • Ed-1
    Options
    hc261 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am a very grateful recipient on a post graduate student loan which has enabled me to take a place on a masters course.

I am going to receive the loan in three installments as per undergraduate. However the University has requested all students pay up front or sign a credit agreement. The credit agreement will mean I will be charged roughly an extra £250.

What is the reasoning behind not providing the whole loan at the beginning of the year?
    Or is this something I can request?

Thank you in advance

The reason SFE will pay out the postgraduate master's loan in 3 instalments is because it's what their are systems are set up to do and it would cost too much to change this for one set of loans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback