NTL won't talk

Options
We decided to leave NTL (TV and phone) to get a BT line and freeview. No problems I thought, just call the companies and tell them I want to leave and join. Put it all in writing - no problems.

Well that's what I thought until two months later and NTL continue to bill us. Admin error I thought and called them to sort it out.

After being passed from pillar to post and put on hold the retentions department refuse to speak to me as I am not the named account holder - my wife is. I explain that we no longer have any NTL services, we have put our request for disconnection in writing and that NTL have even collected the digibox so how can they continue to bill us? Sorry sir, we need to speak to your wife.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for this one? I intend to write to them but that will just end up in a black hole somewhere. Why, after doing everything asked of us should we be the ones chasing round to sort this out when it is their fault?

I know a simple call from my wife could probably sort it out but I want to dig my heals in the same as they have!! ;)

Comments

• deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless she requested to put your name down on the bill, than there si nothing you can do, it's for your benefit really, but it can be a pain, i had the same thing and my wife worked odd hours and it was frustrating that i was there ready to sort things out but they would not speak to me!

btw - There are many threads on NTL, billing after you have left, it's very common, there even a website dedicated to it - ntlhell.co.uk or something like that!
  • Ally
    Ally Posts: 5,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Send the letter recorded delivery? Hope you did .... send them another letter and include a copy of the letter you sent requesting to be disconnected. Include details of when their equipment was collected - highlighting the overcharged period .... if you didn't have the equipment, you obviously were not using their service.

Tell them of the problems you have had and that you want to be refunded for the overcharge ... which it is. As with all such places, they will need your wife's autorisation (it's a legal issue) although, some companies don't bother.
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
  • secretdancer
    Options
    Thank's for the advice both. I am actually named on the account and had the rights to alter packages and services. I was just not named on the bill.

I didn't send our letter recorded (an oversight) but I will certainly send the next one recorded.

I like the comment about claiming the charges back - might try that one.
    Cheers
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I find that the quickest way to get NTL sorted out is to get your bank to do it.

If you pay by Direct Debit, call your bank and let them know that the direct debit is being taken out in error, and you want it refunded immediately under the direct debit guarantee.

I personally wouldn't actually cancel the direct debit though.

Cheers, Des.
  • secretdancer
    Options
    Why wouldn't you cancel you DD Des?
  • TIGs
    TIGs Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd have cancelled the DD straight away always do when i 'm no longer with a company then they can't take what doesn't belong to them.

My partner had a problem when he moved they continued charging for the phone line, and the calls the new home owners had made on it £200 even though he had phoned and cancelled it before he moved out. It was all sorted eventually and he didn't pay them anything,

Keep on their backs

Good Luck :j
  • secretdancer
    Options
    One of the first things I did after cancelling the service was cancel the DD. Had a funny feeling they may try to take more of my money!

Interested to learn why some think cancelling a DD is a no-no. It's my money after all.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    Options
    some companies will put a note on credit files that a missed DD is a missed payment I think is the main issue. Most don't but one potential blackmark on your report
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, as stated above, the reason I personally wouldn't cancel the direct debit is to avoid the credit file mark, and debt collectors.

Cheers, Des.
  • elaine373
    elaine373 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you think its called NTHELL? This has happened to my husband, and he is now refusing to pay the bill because he cancelled months ago in writing and he is the account holder. However, I would get your wife to ring them as its not really worth getting bad marks on your wifes credit rating.
    “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure