How do I get PDSA?

Options
Am I entitled to PDSA if I get housing benefit? Its only a very small amount of benefit I get, but I do get it. If I am entitled, do I just take the form with me, or register over the phone? I'm presuming its mostly dogs and cats they see, does anyone know if the Edinburgh PDSA is any good with small animals (rats and ferrets)? Do they charge set fees or is it a donation? Sorry for the twenty questions, I'm needing my female ferrets spayed soon and was wondering if I could have it done through them.

Comments

• snowman2_2
    snowman2_2 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    We deal with PetAid vouchers from PDSA. You need to be on council tax benefit or housing benefit. You need to take current proof of benefit with you or get a form signed at the council offices. Generally PDSA or RSPCA hospitals aren't good with exotics but a ferret may be OK. For a PetAid voucher they wont pay the first £40.
  • Jellicat
    Jellicat Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info. What are petaid vouchers?
  • snowman2_2
    snowman2_2 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't live close enough to a PDSA hospital but qualify for help, they will send you a green form. Fill it in with proof of benefit, take it to your vet and they can get upto £100 for treatment but you can't claim unless the bill goes over £100
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alot of it is down to postcodes.

In my town, if you live in a certain postcode, you can get it, if you live in another postcode, you don't.

My vet was willing to take PDSA, but I didn't qualify as my postcode was in the wrong area of town :rolleyes:
  • denice37
    denice37 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    the pdsa will only let you register one animal with them, they don't cover yearly boosters and although they'll pay for a tom cat to be spayed they won't cover the cost of a female. Not sure about their rules for ferrets. We got form from vet, photocopied benefit letter and a postal order for a few sound-can't remember exact amount but it's not much. Then handed it back to vet and they sent it to pdsa, you'll get a certificate through post.
    :laugh::Sometime I try to be NORMAL. . . But it gets boring so I go back to being me. . .
  • welshlil
    welshlil Posts: 126 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2009 at 10:44PM
    Options
    I have two animals registered with PDSA, maximum they allow [wales] I have to get a letter from council to say I am on housing benefit, take to the PDSA in Cardiff [nearest to me] along with ID and register. Each registration lasts six months. Each visit, made with animal, to the PDSA vetinary centre in Cardiff, you have to take the registration form and ID. You cannot get someone else to take your pet. The Cardiff one asks for a donation - and of course, blankets, food, newspaper, is always welcome. Tablets are at a set fee - but usually very reasonable. Best to ring your local centre to see if you qualify - or if you don,t have one locally, get on the voucher scheme if you can.
  • denice37
    denice37 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    :confused:
    In scotland we're only allowed to register one animal, so had to decide which one to register and which one to insure.
    :laugh::Sometime I try to be NORMAL. . . But it gets boring so I go back to being me. . .
  • lady_jane
    Options
    It's only council tax benefit now the rules have changed but still 3 per household in uK
  • lady_jane
    Options
    Ok strange that it is 1 in Scotland 2 in Wales and 3 in England it should be the same wherever you are
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    We are a PDSA Pet Aid practice (A private practice who work with the PDSA) and it is definitely only one animal per household for this particular scheme!
    PDSA hospitals may be different though.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport