»

Holiday at Home DFW Style!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Holiday at Home DFW Style!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
34 replies 9.8K views
nabowlanabowla Forumite
567 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
I've got 10 days' leave coming up v soon (start on Weds). The original plan was to do lots of day trips. However, now that I've had my lightbulb moment, I realise that I can't afford to spend £20+ per day on a train fare and then £20+ on food/shopping/entrance fees etc. So I'm trying to come up with lots of ideas of things to do for c.£5 or less per day. With any luck one or two days will be spend-free.

Right now I've come up with the following ideas:

- Spend free day at the V&A (using my Friends card to get free entrance to the fashion museum and taking a packed lunch to eat in the Friends Room)
- Craft day at home (already have all the materials for a couple of projects)
- Spend free day visiting a local Nat Trust property (bus to house using Oystercard & free entrance. Must remember not to go anywhere near the cafe!)
- Invite family for home-made Sunday lunch & afternoon walk (food to come from weekly grocery budget)
- Day at the British Museum (free tours. £5 for lunch as there's nowhere to eat a packed lunch)
- Day out cycling (only if it's a bit warmer!!!)

Have any of you got any other bright ideas for things to do or ways to keep myself motivated? I know it's going to be really, really hard as I'll want to treat myself to posh lunches, shopping, beauty treatments, coffees etc
threadbanner.gif

Replies

• What a good thread to start!

How about if you planned a days pampering at home, broken up with the best lunch & coffee you can bring yourself to buy, for lunch?

Get up, make a lovely breakfast......give yourself a bit of a pedicure/manicure.....pluck your eyebrows.....give yourself a facial (you can use salt on a face cloth as a natural exfoliater and I have a Dermalogica face pack sample I can send you if you want it!)....have a long soak in a nice bubble bath or long luxurious shower.....deep condition your hair........apply a rich body lotion.....do your hair & makeup (all this is broken up by the lunch of course!) and then maybe you could arrange to meet a friend when they leave work and go for a couple of glasses of wine? That way you get to show off just how gorgeous you're looking after all that effort of course!

(I want to do that now.....!)
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you do a spa day at home? Plan a whole day of pampering, mani, pedi, fake tan, etc., with a bottle of wine and a DVD to enjoy at the end of it all.

Just spend a day with a friend, chatting and window shopping.

Spend the day cooking a lovely posh meal (3 courses?) to eat at the end of it, or bake lots of goodies to scoff.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Go to the cinema in the morning... our local does 'earlybird' discounts - hopefully yours does too.

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • Another idea... local beauty/ hair colleges need people to practise their skills on. Often very cheap and supervised by tutor at all times.
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • dvd day? all those dvds you want to watch again/never properly watched, just buy a bag a pop corn for say £2 and you are away :)

• $17mma$17mma Forumite
    2.6K posts
    This is really good.

We are holidaying at home (UK) this year nd I have not got a clue what I am going to do with the kids.

But this has given me some good ideas, and cheap and cheerful!
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • D&DDD&DD Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread Nabowla :D I'm sure lots of us can do with inspiration for these sort of days..me personally I'm a homebody anyways so I'd plan a day for having a bakeup (old style of course ;) ) to stock up the freezer when you go back to work :D
  • nabowlanabowla Forumite
    567 posts
    Love the ideas guys! Thinking about it I've got a whole stack of beauty samples that I could use for a home treatment day and a DVD subscription that I don't use as much as I should. I could also have a day trying out some new recipes from that huge stack of cooking books that I bought in my pre-lightbulb days. Might as well get some benefit from all that money I spent ;)

Was talking to Mum earlier and she suggested that I investigate getting free tickets to the recording of a radio or TV programme - maybe Radio 4's Reading Group or something. Has anyone done this before? How would I find out how to get tickets?

If I get any other ideas I'll post them here in the hope that they're useful to someone else too.
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K posts
    Ooh well if you are in London... you have the lot to look forward to!

Why not give yourself a tenner ( if you can afford it) and mooch round the markets? My local one at roman road will get you some pretty great stuff.

Museums, galleries, LOADS of em are free

Depending on the weather a walk round some of the parks is a must, wrap up warm and hit hyde park

Prince Charles Cinema, they have tickets for £1! Have a look on website!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • fannyadamsfannyadams Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You could come round my house and clean it from top to bottom, if you're bored! :rotfl:
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds