We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Hire car price shocker!!!

2»

Comments

  • yvonneem_2
    yvonneem_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    I picked up a hire car from Ibiza airport last week for five days. It cost me 69 euros and 56 euros for petrol.. I paid for a Ford Ka and got a Peugeot 207 and all my petrol money back at the end of the rental. Fuel cost me 8 euros in Total.

    Excellent value for money........
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Holiday Autos has a sale on at the moment, and they are quoting just over £400 for 18 days in August (it's not clear if this is a sale price or the normal rate).

    It's interesting that the Focus is likely to be scarce... from my experience practically all they have are Ford Focuses - I always book the cheapest car available and end up getting upgraded to a Focus. Having said that, I tend to hire out of high season, so maybe that's why...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi Yvoneem please could you tell me which firm this was with?
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Have you worked through martins guide as a starter?

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Holidayautos have a Peugot partner van (or similar) for £360 I think it was. Are they OK? they don't look too attractive but it's quite a saving from the Focus. anyone know how much they charge for additional driver as this is usually free with carjet? thanks
  • JoshP wrote: »
    If you're after cheap car rental in spain i defineatley recommend you check out brunoscar.com we were recommended them by friends several years ago they are an independant spanish firm and are much cheaper than the larger chains 5% off for rentals over 14 days as well ;)
    Good tip cheers! :) Although if it's been several years since you used them I guess their prices/deals may have changed a bit? :confused:
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    yes it was a good tip as I'd never heard of them although they were actually quite a bit more expensive than carjet for my dates
  • Oh well, a lot can change in "several years" *sigh*
    Still, I guess it's another option to check out when shopping around in future.
  • yvonneem_2
    yvonneem_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    melb wrote: »
    Hi Yvoneem please could you tell me which firm this was with?
    I booked with Economy Car Rentals and the supplier was Centaur Cars. Best service I have ever had.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.