PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what can I use the dryer water for?

Options
I had a condenser dryer given me last month and I've been using it quite a bit,
but I feel it is such a waste to throw away the water it collects,
I'm not sure what I could use it for thougfh, how much washing detergent would still be present in the water?

Comments

• silverfoxdude
    silverfoxdude Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    maybe the garden, the detergent might kill them weeny bugs off plants? but then again it might kill the plants!!! lol

You could wash things outside like the car, patio, garage doors etc?
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    put it on your roses esp if they have greenfly Iread somewhere it washese them off. My mum puts her bath water on them so I assume it is the same principle.
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    Ooh, I'm interested in this thread, as I currently pour my water down the drain :eek: I would love to know what else I could use it for. I'll keep watching.............
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a dehumidifyer which also condenses water from the atmosphere which is probably comparable.
    There should not be any detergent left as the water vapour only condenses (don't think detregent goes into the vapour phase, suspect it stays in the laundry).
    We use the water in the iron as it is really distilled water and contains no minerals. However, it doesn't keep so the container needs to be spotlessly cleaned otherwise any bacteria will grow and it will go smelly.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    As Mado said, it's best to use it for ironing, you won't get any build up of crap on the bottom of the iron then.
  • Surf_Widow
    Surf_Widow Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I use mine to water the garden - I pour it in the water butt/watering can if I'm not going to use it there and then. I've been doing this for a while and the plants don't seen to have suffered.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tr3mor wrote:
    As Mado said, it's best to use it for ironing, you won't get any build up of crap on the bottom of the iron then.

I was interested to read this, as the instructions for my iron - it's supposedly got a "self-cleaning valve" - says you must use tap water and definitely not distilled water or water from a dryer! :confused:
  • ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    Options
    I use my dryer a lot and now I know it's safe I'll find something to collect water in for the garden
  • justin138
    justin138 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    I use a spin-dryer, and get about 1 litre of extra water from my washing per load. I usually use it to clean my floor. I know it's cold, but I put a bit of vinegar in, and bobs yer uncle. If I didn't add the vinegar, I could just chuck it on the plants after I've cleaned floor I guess. Any other ideas coming?

Jo (not Justin, but Justin's OH)
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been watering the plants in the house with it for years with no ill effect... hasn't killed them off yet... :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure