We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Premium Bonds - NUMBER 10 Petition

Options
As bond-holders are investing their money with the British Government in a recession, their chances of winning should be increased greatly.

Join the number 10 petition.

As I am a new USER I cannot post links so just type in

petitionsdotnumber10dotgovdotuk/premiumbonds2009*

*This aint spamming as this is an official government website.

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why just Premium Bonds? Why not other government investments like NS&I savings, gilts etc?

Just another badly thought out petition, especially as it won't be done till May 10, by which time we hope the recession it refers to will really be over, so it will be irrelevant!
  • sash1990
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Why just Premium Bonds? Why not other government investments like NS&I savings, gilts etc?

Just another badly thought out petition, especially as it won't be done till May 10, by which time we hope the recession it refers to will really be over, so it will be irrelevant!

Recession or not, I feel that we do not get enough out of Premium Bonds - so I do think it is relevant.
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't forget the country is practically bankrupt so the gov't can't really afford more prizes at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop paying out altogether. Plus they don't want us to save but SPEND
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • sash1990
    Options
    staffie1 wrote: »
    Don't forget the country is practically bankrupt so the gov't can't really afford more prizes at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop paying out altogether. Plus they don't want us to save but SPEND

A basic rule in rewards/prizes is the 'Carrot on a stick'. If the government increase prizes then the number of bond-holders will increase. This will not just benefit the saver but the treasury/government/country.
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sash1990 wrote: »
    A basic rule in rewards/prizes is the 'Carrot on a stick'. If the government increase prizes then the number of bond-holders will increase. This will not just benefit the saver but the treasury/government/country.

I agree - you talk sense. But you're not the Prime Minister unfortunately ;)
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • adambro
    adambro Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    What you seem to not realise is that premium bonds are just really another device the government uses to raise funds. As such, they're not going to pay more unless they really have to and at the moment they don't. There are numerous other sources of cash they can draw on before even considering increasing the attractiveness of premium bonds to get more money via that route. It is in the interests of us as taxpayers that government don't pay any more for the money they need than is necessary.

If sash thinks "we do not get enough out of Premium Bonds" there is a simple solution; put your money elsewhere.
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Options

100% backed by HM Treasury, so as secure as sterling itself - That's a f###ing huge carrot
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As bond-holders are investing their money with the British Government in a recession, their chances of winning should be increased greatly.

Join the number 10 petition.

As I am a new USER I cannot post links so just type in

petitionsdotnumber10dotgovdotuk/premiumbonds2009*

*This aint spamming as this is an official government website.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What is this :confused:
    What about a petition to cancel Daren Fletchers red card, it should have only been a booking at most :mad:
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As always with this sort of petition, where would you like the extra revenue to come from to offset the increased prizes?

A better question would be "why do you have money in Premium Bonds at all?"
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2009 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Where would the money come from?

Do you really think it would be good for the country if there was a rush from the banks and building societies in to Government savings plans?

There is only a fixed amount of money in savings accounts in the UK and increasing the returns on premium bonds would not increase the amount of capital saved in the UK.

In reality your idea would increase the risks of banks collapsing and savers losing their money - which would most certainly not benefit the treasury/government/country.

It's almost worth a petition to get your naive petition removed.

What about a petition to cancel Daren Fletchers red card, it should have only been a booking at most :mad:
    Why on earth would you book the lad for making a great tackle?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport