NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

get cashback paying your council tax

Hi I have a Capital One cashback credit card and my council allows me to pay my council tax online using a credit card so I get cashback on my council tax. My council tax is £1896 so £19 cash back. Not a lot but every little helps.

I also have an Asda credit card I used only for buying petrol at Asda, 2p off a litre, but now it is only 1p off a litre so I use my Capital One card and my wife's Tesco club card and get my 1p in the pound off now at Tesco plus club card points.

Another one, my daughter works in Asda so we get 10% off our shopping, my wife uses her Tesco credit card so we get Tesco clubcard points from Asda:j plus 10% off.

Only reason I don't ditch my Capital One card and use my wife's Tesco credit card is the limit on it is only £750 and my Capital One card is £7500

Robert

Replies

• Tesco are doing double cashback points on petrol - at least they were still doing this yesterday.

:j
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • blufferbluffer Forumite
    523 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    oh man, i never thought of checking this!

i pay by dd just now so I will find out if i can pay with my card - i dont have a cashback but i do have a couple of loyalty points cards
    2020 wins - £0.10 from the TCB Hummingbird and another £0.10 from the TCB Hummingbird.
  • skylightskylight Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Check its worthwhile with your local council. Mine charge for all credit card transactions, whether is using their automated system or you go into the offices.
  • anniecaveanniecave Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Birmingham city council don't charge extra for credit cards, but you are more restricted on payment dates than with direct debit - you have to pay earlier in the month.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • pcyampcyam Forumite
    651 Posts
    if you find a local shop which takes paypoint you can pay there with your credit card free of charge. We do ours at a local texaco petrol stations and they give us 1 point for every £1 for everything including bills paid at paypoint, so double the reward. :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum