Freezing Sandwiches?

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    160 - since you have frozen sandwiches (and I haven't) would you say there is any difference in them compared to making ones in the morning or the night before?
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    So.... does anyone know if hummus sandwiches, or salmon sandwiches freeze?? I tried to freeze some hummus to test it out - it was OK but the oil separated out rather. I suppose I could buy big tubs rather than the smaller ones and freeze some - won't save much but every little helps.

My main problem is that I have sandwiches with lots of salad and that apparently doesn't freeze well.

Oh... and if anyone else is vegetarian (but sometimes eats fish) but doesn't eat dairy products - have you got any idea what else I could be eating for lunch in my sandwiches??? I normally have hummus but occasionally have salmon or egg mayo (I eat eggs, and mayo normally has just eggs rather than any dairy).
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    160 - since you have frozen sandwiches (and I haven't) would you say there is any difference in them compared to making ones in the morning or the night before?

no difference in taste, but i do two loaves of bread on a sunday and freeze. only one lot of mess and washing up, rather than doing it every night or morning. i have sliced cake frozen too, and frozen yogurts for the kids, and just get one of each out for each of us. i get them out the night before now the weathers colder to make sure they are defrosted by lunch time.

hth.

ashmit, hummous doesn't freeze well, it tend to sort of seperate itself and isn't nice. salmon freezes ok, we do this sometimes. and tuna mayo does too, if you eat tuna.

as for the salad, i like that too, but like you say doesn't freeze well, so i make up a bit in a box to take with me and add it at lunch time.

there are some ideas for sandwich fillings here. have a look and if you need to know what'll freeze or not feel free to ask me, and if i can help i will.

hth,

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Take soup instead.

I'm quite lucky in that I have a microwave at work so I take one of 3 tins for £1 from Asda (33p being LOADS cheaper than £1.40 for a shop bought sarnie).

If you don't have a microwave you could always heat some up in the morning and put it in a flask

Or, if you have a kettle, take 2 pakets of cup-a-soup and make them up in a bowl (as Peter Kay says why can't you make cup-a-soup in anything other than a cup :-/)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • ashmit
    First Post
    Options
    160, thanks for that link - will have to try some of them :)

Galtizz, in work earlier this week, I had to proof read some recipes for a recipe book that's being published and I copied 3 soup recipes ;D I only really like homemade soup (made by either myself, my chef friend or my nanna!) but I only had one recipe I like myself. If you want to make soup and take it onto work for lunch, you can just let it cool, put single portions into heavy duty freezer bags and microwave in work :) Lovely!

I haven't done this for ages - will have to make a big pot again soon :)
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Ashmit sorry to be cheeky  ;) but could you please have a look at THIS thread.  Thanks.

Edited cause I forgot to put the link in  :-[

P.s thanks for the suggestion of homemade soup, you've encouraged me to give it a go.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • ashmit
    First Post
    Options
    Hi Galtizz  ;D I've posted them all on that thread now :)  I take no responsibility for the ones I haven't tried out yet though!  Will report back when I do :)

Also, be as cheeky as you like! ;D
  • charliedavis1
    Options
    Thanks to whoever posted the link to miserly moms, I looked at the site and can see a great salmon recipe I want try but it says to eat it with saltines - any ideas what they are please?

By the way, it's a great idea to freeze sandwiches as my 11 year old does his own at the moment and tends to opt for easy spreads - jam and chocolate spread! So I will prepare them for him and he can't use the excuse he can't cut the cheese ;)
  • percyflatcap
    Options
    I've frozen tuna sandwiches with salad cream and it was fine
    tried them with tomatoes on but when defrosted the tomatoes made the bread soggy
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    I know this thread is about sandwiches, but does anyone know whether you can freeze mash? I had loads left over and it seemed a shame to waste it. (Really didn't feel like making potato cakes tonight!)

Thanks
    Squidge ;D
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills