Child Tax Credit renewal award

Options
MummyOnAMission_2
MummyOnAMission_2 Posts: 153 Forumite
edited 6 May 2009 at 5:32PM in Benefits & tax credits
I rang yesterday to renew my tax credit. My OH is self employed and we worked out that we thought he'd earnt £4000 more than we said he would do for 08-09. I told them whilst on the phone that those earnings he received wudnt be likely 09-10 and that it wud be what we had first predicted initially as it was a partically job he did that took it over which he wont be doing this time. Anyway i rang up today as i was anxious we had been over paid and wud have a huge reduction in payments. But they said it is all ok for last year no over payment and they've renewed for 09-10 and are payments are about £1 less a week!
I just thought we would have had a reduction in payment. Do you think i should ring again when i get my award notice on paper just to check its correct or do you think such a amount (£4000 over the estimated earnings) wudnt have been that much difference in payment anyway?

thanks
MOAM
Just a mum trying to make things happen!

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd wait till you have it in writing in front of you. I renewed mine straight away but only got the final award notice yesterday so I think they must have a back-log. Check what it says and then if it's wrong I'd phone them back. My salary was 2kover what I'd previously given and when I got my award notice it stated that I owed around 400 but that I'd already paid it back in monthly installment in 08/09 - no idea how as I wasn't aware of this.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • kerryallc71
    kerryallc71 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    How long does it take about to hear from tax credits , I renewed mine ok Saturday 2nd may , they told me I should receive paper work. In 7-10 days , I contacted them today to see if my award had been updated , and they said not yet , when is it best to contact them to see if it has been updated?

Thankyou in advance from Kerry ..
  • MummyOnAMission_2
    Options
    The paper work always seems to take a while coming through but I only rang yesterday morning to renew and rang back this afternoon and it had been updated. So I'd give them another call to see if you can get your payment schedule over phone yet. The lady i spoke to today said it can take a week or so to change but ive always found i can ring a day or so after and get the info so worth a try
    Just a mum trying to make things happen!
  • pupsicola
    pupsicola Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    How long does it take about to hear from tax credits , I renewed mine ok Saturday 2nd may , they told me I should receive paper work. In 7-10 days , I contacted them today to see if my award had been updated , and they said not yet , when is it best to contact them to see if it has been updated?

Hi it sounds as if they have a bit of a backlog. I renewed my tax credits 16 april and phoned the next day to find out my new payments which they gave me. I didn't recieve anything in writing from them though till 1 may.

I think loads of people have recieved there renew packs now and they are inundated. Give it a few days and try again.

Sarah
  • kurjam
    kurjam Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options

i updated mine sunday 3rd may and just rang them and the award as been updated
  • Diamonds_2
    Diamonds_2 Posts: 2,580 Forumite
    Options
    I received my renewal pack last Monday and phoned through the final figure on my P60 that afternoon. On Friday of last week a payment was made into my account as we'd been underpaid. My normal monthly payment was due today but didn't get paid into my account.. I figured they'd changed my payment date and I was right, my new award notice has just been delivered and my new payment day is Friday. Hope this helps.
  • ticktock1973
    ticktock1973 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    i had underestimated my income by 2000 and they have reduced my payments by 26 a week which is a right pain in the bum xx
  • TotallyBroke
    TotallyBroke Posts: 1,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I rang through with my P60 salary for last year. The man took the figures and said he would update the screen but the award will not be amended until the renewal pack is sent back. He told me I will get my pack by the end of June.

Wonder why I can't renew mine over the phone?
  • Mags269
    Mags269 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Even after a few years of going through the motions, I'm still none the wiser of how they work these things out! When I received my renewal pack May last year I found that I had underestimated mine and OH's salary by about £4,000. I rang the helpline with our P60 figures for tax year ending April 2008 and said that I thought that our earnings for April 2008-April 2009 may be the same. Our payments from June last year then went up from around £42 per month to £112 per month. On receiving our P60's for April 08 to April 09 I have realised to my horror, that my estimate was £4,000 over! I rang them yesterday to give them our figures - how much do you think we would have to pay back?
  • yummymummy1987_2
    Options
    Hi, we underestimated by around 4k and we had a nearly 800 pounds WTC overpayment. It has meant we wont get any WTC this year as they have taken it out of that but i think amounts will completly vary depending on how many children you have etc, also we missed out on the 25k disregard as my 07/08 earings were 16k but thats because of night pay, our normal wage was 14k which i predicted 08/09 as dp wasnt doing nights anymore.
    Try not to worry too much as they normally just take a little bit out each wk if you do have a overpayment

Jo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport