Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Property prices fall to 2004 levels

Options
Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
This thread is to discuss the following news story:
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Dan:_4
    Dan:_4 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The average house price according to the Halifax is still approx 3 grand more then nationwide.

It is actually quite nice to see the 3 main index's roughly the same now.
  • ad44downey
    ad44downey Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    Options
    Krusty & Phil Madoff, 1990 - 2007:
    "Buy now because house prices only ever go UP, UP, UP."
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On this forum the numbers only count when they go down icon7.gif
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You lucky things. I wish HPs here were at 2004 levels. I might be able to afford one of them.
    We've had a 40% drop which brings us back to.......Q2 2006. Crazymad.
    Maybe it's time to leave this tiny sectarian backwater and live in Albion.
    Stercus accidit
  • JF77
    JF77 Posts: 303 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2009 at 11:44AM
    Options
    My house is on the market at it's 2004 (that's when I bought it) price plus what I have paid on extending and modernising it! Been on a month, no takers yet but a bit of interest.

My only hope is that I can also get a reasonable priced house.

Most other houses in the estate are priced at 15k more with the exception of 2 smaller semi's (mines is detached) priced at 10k more.

I wish I had sold in 2006 and rented but hey ho hum!
    Excited for Florida - May 2012 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • ad9898_3
    ad9898_3 Posts: 3,858 Forumite
    Options
    JF77 wrote: »
    My house is on the market at it's 2004 (that's when I bought it) price plus what I have paid on extending and modernising it! Been on a month, no takers yet but a bit of interest.

My only hope is that I can also get a reasonable priced house.

Most other houses in the estate are priced at 15k more with the exception of 2 smaller semi's (mines is detached) priced at 10k more.

I wish I had sold in 2006 and rented but hey ho hum!

Very honest of you JF, it's a difficult time, but if you're trading up then you should be ok.
  • Chris2685
    Chris2685 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    On this forum the numbers only count when they go down icon7.gif

Funny thing is, when I first started reading this forum (a couple of years now I think, didn't sign up until later), anyone who even dared mention prices might drop was shot down in the flames.
  • chucky
    chucky Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    This thread is to discuss the following news story:

OfficialStamp.gif

depends where you are in the UK - sorry I saw that you went for the Headline to highlight the attention on your article. my apologies.
  • drc
    drc Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Options
    Somebody needs to tell Foxtons that we are in a house price crash and an economic crisis. I've just seen on Rightmove a smallish 3 bed flat advertised at 30% more than the same flat was sold for in 2007 :rolleyes:.
  • TD5
    TD5 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    drc wrote: »
    Somebody needs to tell Foxtons that we are in a house price crash and an economic crisis. I've just seen on Rightmove a smallish 3 bed flat advertised at 30% more than the same flat was sold for in 2007 :rolleyes:.

There are lots of them at it I think. There is a property near me that went on the market maybe 6 months ago for £450k, now been heavilly reduced to £360k - but guess what, they paid £250k for it in 2006 - someone is haveing a laugh.

I guess it makes it essential that buyers use tools like Property Bee and the Land Registry figures to compare advertised prices against the current view (e.g. 2004 prices)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure