PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello & violet creams

Options
This is my first post to the forum, so I am quite excited as I have become quite a lurker of late. I have just given up work to stay at home to look after my little one after being a teacher and I'm looking at all sorts of ways to save and surprisingly I am finding that I am really enjoying saving the pennies!

I am quite a keen OS cook, and have a bit of a reputation for being obsessed with cakes, so I have decided to make gifts for people for birthdays etc. My Mum (and me!) really love violet creams, the ones with dark chocolate and a piece of crystilized violet on top and I'd love to make her a box for Mother's Day. Does anyone have a recipe for these? I can't find anything on google.

Looking forward to getting to know you all. x :hello:

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry Springtide,I can't find a recipe for violet creams in any of my cookbooks or on google.

But I just wanted to say welcome and to agree with you about finding saving money quite fun! I left teaching too, 11 years ago now and haven't looked back.I only found this site in December but it's been a Godsend knowing there are so many like-minded people out there.

I hope you have some luck with the violet creams.I suppose a simple fondant recipe is what you need but I'm not sure how you'd go about getting hold of the violet flavouring. Try looking at cake decorating supplies sites. :)
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Helo springtide.

I'm following this thread with interest as i payed a fortune for some little chocs like this at the weekend. Also there are the rose ones with little bit of pink on top...
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    hi springtide :)

I agree with thriftlady that an adapted fondant cream is probably the best way forward

after I gave up on trying to find a recipe, I started looking for violet flavouring & this is the first one I've found that doesn't come in industrial quantities, but it's still pretty pricey :eek: ... they also have the crystallised petals

I'm going to have another look later when I've got more time, I'm sure there must be more moneysaving sources of supply out there
  • springtide
    springtide Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Thriftlady and Zziggi. They are soooo expensive and I can't believe they cost that much to make, although I imagine that the violet flavouring might be pricey. I have a bottle of rose essence from Lakeland, but not sure if you can get it in violet flavour. They are so lovely though.....
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello springtide

Welcome to the MSE site.:wave:

I can't help you with your recipe. The first thing that sprung to my mind was Parma Violet sweets........now there's a blast from the past.:D

I could help you with tasting/testing. If you're looking for volunteers?

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    Have you tried the jane asher website [URL=http://]www.jane-asher.co.uk[/URL] ? She has a very extensive, and not overly expensive, mail order sugarcraft online shop and you can get all kinds of flavourings and colourings and so on there. I think the others are right about a fondant mix, but possibley with a bit of added glycerine to give the smooth consistency. good luck!! I love violet creams and rose creams and there is a little old fashioned chocolate shop in my village where they sell them so I sometimes treat myself!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    Just found out that you need to use violet syrup to make the creams (rang my friend) and you can get it here [URL=http://]http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=2510[/URL] I costs about £6 for a bottle but is all natural and can be used as a cordial too. Hope this helps!! Let us know how you get on as I would love to have a go at making them too!! Welcome to OS - i am fairly new to it all too, having been made redunant at the end of last year and deciding to stay at home with the kids!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    Hi springtide and welcome. Do let us know how you get on because I love "violent" creams. I am not a chocolate lover but I make an exception for these. Love parma violets as well!
    Have fun.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: Welcome springtide :hello:

I think Homemade Cakes as gifts are a wonderful idea and they are sure to be appreciated :):D:):D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    yes springtide, please keep us updated if you try making these

I spent half of yesterday Googling for recipes, flavourings, essences etc. & even queries about recipes I found posted on Delia's message board had no answers

unfortunately, I can't help getting the feeling they'll be quite expensive to make :(

good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family