What can I do about a damaged CD case in the post?

Options
I sold a CD on ebay which I put on at 99p but it sold for over £16! I've just got this message from the buyer

"Hi. Have received cd today but somewhat disappointed. You listed this as Box & Cd's are both in great condition, however the cd's look fine but the case which is not its original is cracked front & back and one of the hinge flaps is missing (not in envelope so did not happen in post. Now seeing the item I would never have paid this amount for this item in its current condition."

Both the CD's (It was a double album) & the box were in perfect condition, exactly has stated in the auction, when I posted it 1st class on Saturday. I don't know what to suggest to the buyer, I'm more than happy to put a claim in with Royal Mail but not sure if it's worth it for a CD Case.

I'm not saying this is the case BUT the thought had crossed my mind that perhaps the buyer overpaid for this CD so this is his/her way of trying to get some of the money back. Do you think this is me being paranoid? :confused:

Any other suggestions what I can do now?
2023 wins - Rice Krispies, Avene Micellar Gel, Barbie Toy, £20 Apple Gift Card, KFC 6 piece bargain bucket, Chloe Nomade perfume, Barbie Toy (second one), Sanctuary Spa Sleep Balm, E45 Moisturising Lotion, Trolls Hamper, 12 Tonie Characters, Sure deodorant, Good Home Utensil holder, £5 Costa Gift Card, Neutrogena Micellar Jelly, Soap & Glory Mascara, Persil capsules,  

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Refund them £1 to buy a new CD case?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Sugar_Coated_Owl
    Sugar_Coated_Owl Posts: 12,379 Forumite
    Options
    I would ask the buyer to send the item back to you and if it is as damaged as they say it is then issue them with a refund.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with the above.
  • Stuart_P
    Stuart_P Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    is the case not a generic one that can be easily replaced? is the artwork inside damaged?
  • princessmoneysaver
    Options
    Hintza,

Which of the above do you agree with please? The CD is fine, it's just the box so is it really worth the buyer sending it back which will cost him/her?

Thanks
    2023 wins - Rice Krispies, Avene Micellar Gel, Barbie Toy, £20 Apple Gift Card, KFC 6 piece bargain bucket, Chloe Nomade perfume, Barbie Toy (second one), Sanctuary Spa Sleep Balm, E45 Moisturising Lotion, Trolls Hamper, 12 Tonie Characters, Sure deodorant, Good Home Utensil holder, £5 Costa Gift Card, Neutrogena Micellar Jelly, Soap & Glory Mascara, Persil capsules,  
  • LULUBELLE_2
    LULUBELLE_2 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just send them a new CD case - no point in mailing things around when the CDs are fine and the buyer obviously wants them
    I only exist in my own mind - if you can see, hear or read me, you are a product of my imagination.
  • princessmoneysaver
    Options
    Where do I get hold of a CD case? What's to say that won't get damaged too?

Do you think maybe the easier option would be to ask them to get one, email me the receipt & I refund that amount through Paypal?
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think just send the a pound or so for a new case. I am not sure about sending a replacement case...lightning might strike twice.

CD cases have always been poor the number that I have that are broken.!!!

If you wake up in a bad mood tomorrow morning why not neg them for buyers remorse....lol
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What's to say that won't get damaged too?
    Better packaging. Cardboard mailers are better than jiffy bags for CDs.
    Do you think maybe the easier option would be to ask them to get one, email me the receipt & I refund that amount through Paypal?
    It's not that easy to buy just one double-cd case. They'd probably go buy the most expensive they could find.

Personally I'd email them and say you'll offer them a £x refund in lieu of the damage, if it was acceptable,

where x = betwen 1 and 5 pounds, where the nearer to £1 the more likely they are not to be happy.
  • Stuart_P
    Stuart_P Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Where do I get hold of a CD case? What's to say that won't get damaged too?

wouldnt go the paypal route as the buyer will get a fee charged to recieve the payment won't he?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure