collect items in person?

Options
Hi

I want to bid on an item that is ending in the next hour or so. The ebayer lives in the same town as me, so as the postage on 6 items of kids clothing is £9.50, I would prefer to collect. I have asked them if this would be possible, but have not yet had a reply. Do you think it is ok for me to bid and hopefully win and ask if I can collect the items on winning?

Thanks

Sue

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Alas only the seller can answer that. Some sellers just plain don't like to deal face to face.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can ask if you win, but if they say No, will you pay the £9.50 for p&p (or maybe less if they combine postage)??

I don't allow collection, but my OH has met people before to 'do the deal' (he must look like a right dodgy character swapping goods and cash in public car parks lol)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • mikeassured
    mikeassured Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest they must be making on the postage because it is only 3 year olds tee shirts, so cant imagine it would be that heavy! Item only has one bid of £2, so maybe they would insist on posting! Not sure what to do now, if I win and say I prefer to meet or collect and they say no, then I get a neg feedback!
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest they must be making on the postage because it is only 3 year olds tee shirts, so cant imagine it would be that heavy! Item only has one bid of £2, so maybe they would insist on posting! Not sure what to do now, if I win and say I prefer to meet or collect and they say no, then I get a neg feedback!

You can't say what you prefer, you have to abide by their terms.

If you don't get a reply to your question, don't bid.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    some people dont like strangers coming to the house :-(
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldnt let anyone collect small items of mine ... no way!

eBay just doesn't work like that!
  • liquidity_2
    Options
    And some sellers deliberately charge higher than actual postage in order to earn more and avoid paying ebay fees so won't be keen to lose that part of their profit.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    highguyuk wrote:
    I wouldnt let anyone collect small items of mine ... no way!

eBay just doesn't work like that!

Why not?

I sell a little on ebay and always add that if the buyer wants to collect there would be no postage charge.

I dont see it as a problem unless of course sellers are making a profit on their postage charges ( i only ever charge what it costs me)
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Because people dont want random strangers turning up at the door to collect there £2.37p playstation one retro game just to avoid paying postage.
  • Stuart_P
    Stuart_P Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    allowing payment in person? pure unadulterated hassle!!

you want to wait in for buyers to deliver £5?? it is bad enough waiting for the postman to turn up at a decent hour or worse the citylink man arriving at 5.27pm :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure