We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Making a pie in advance?

Hello!

I'm going to make a chicken and leek (and possibly bacon) pie to take over to my dad's for dinner tomorrow evening.

Would I be better off making it just before I go tomorrow (I plan to actually cook it there), or would it be ok to make it all today and leave it in the fridge until tomorrow?

I wasn't sure if the pastry might go soggy if I leave it too long?

Thanks for any help :)
Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
«1

Comments

  • pol
    pol Posts: 643
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think the pastry would go soggy overnight, it depends on the filling. I'd make the pastry and filling now, and put it together just before you go. You can't beat fresh crisp pastry just out of the oven!

    pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Ballymackeonan
    Ballymackeonan Posts: 605 Forumite
    Or how about putting the filling in the bowl and making a savoury crumble topping? I use wholemeal flour and some oats, rub in the fat - margaring or butter. With leeks and bacon, you could add in some cheese to the mixture.
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    pol wrote: »
    I think the pastry would go soggy overnight, it depends on the filling. I'd make the pastry and filling now, and put it together just before you go. You can't beat fresh crisp pastry just out of the oven!

    pol

    Good idea, why didn't I think of that?!

    I'm leaving early tomorrow morning now, so may even take it all seperately and construct it when I get there!

    Usually I would cook the base for a bit first, then add filling and top. Do you think I should cook the base tonight, then chill it and do the rest in the morning? Or cook the base in the morning (if I have time) and then I can do the rest afterwards?


    I knew I should have just made biscuits again :p
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Or how about putting the filling in the bowl and making a savoury crumble topping? I use wholemeal flour and some oats, rub in the fat - margaring or butter. With leeks and bacon, you could add in some cheese to the mixture.

    Hmm, never tried that and would hate for it to be a disaster (my dad used to be a chef, he might laugh at me!)

    I will try that one day as sounds delicious, but think i'll stick with the pie as have made it before and know it (hopefully) won't go wrong.

    Thanks for the suggestion though :j
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,328
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi I have made chicken and leek pie in advance (Jamies, its delicious ). I made the filling and put it in the casserole dish and covered with clingfilm. I didnt touch the pastry until the next day so i rolled it, put in on, glazed and bobs your uncle. Let us know how you get on. I was also worried the pastry might sog underneath and didnt want to risk it.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2009 at 6:53PM
    I thought you might like to read this MBE v tigs78 chicken and leek pie challenge.
    It was the great pie challenge by our own resident Mrbadexample. Ideas and plenty to make you smile.

    I wonder if he is still cooking? :think:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

    ......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Rikki wrote: »
    I thought you might like to read this MBE v tigs78 chicken and leek pie challenge.
    It was the great pie challenge by our own resident Mrbadexample. Ideas and plenty to make you smile.

    I winder if he is still cooking? :think:


    Funnily enough that's one of the first posts I saw on here and was looking at it again earlier. The 'tin foil' sculpture still makes me laugh :p
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    zippychick wrote: »
    Hi I have made chicken and leek pie in advance (Jamies, its delicious ). I made the filling and put it in the casserole dish and covered with clingfilm. I didnt touch the pastry until the next day so i rolled it, put in on, glazed and bobs your uncle. Let us know how you get on. I was also worried the pastry might sog underneath and didnt want to risk it.

    Mmm, I remember that when it was on TV :drool:

    I've just made the filling. I think i'll make the pastry tonight (won't have time in the morning) and construct it before I go. Just not 100% sure whether to cook the base for a bit tonight, or in the morning, or not at all!

    I could just cook the whole thing tonight, then reheat it tomorrow, but i'd be too tempted to eat it tonight :p
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Picture3-1.jpg

    I made it tonight. We'll cook it tomorrow!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Mamae
    Mamae Posts: 107 Forumite
    Looks fantastic! Hope it tasted as good as it looks!
    Don't be a sheep, be a shepard!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.