We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Just A Quick Update!

2

Comments

  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    :mad: :wall:

    Why is nothing in life ever simple? :rolleyes:

    My HSBC card arrived today. Just phoned up to activate it and transfer a balance!

    First of all I asked for an credit limit increase, they said maybe in 3-4 months. Fair enough, no problem.

    Transfer to my limit (£2250). No problems there. :T

    I ask for confirmation of the end date of the 0%! Get told it's September time! I say that it should be 9 months. They say that deal ended in January!

    Funnily enough though I got a letter from them this morning saying;

    "Please be advised the copy of the terms blah blah contain incorrect information about your interest free promotional period. Please disregard this blah blah, your deal is stated below"!

    It then goes to tell me in a fancy box how my interest free period is 9 months!

    Tell the woman this but she has no record of this letter. I give her the reference code on the letter only to be told that "reference codes don't come up on our system"! :rotfl: :wall:

    Anyhows, I now have to take the letter into a branch of HSBC and they will then phone up card services to get it sorted!

    BUT, it doesn't end there! :rotfl:

    I just wanted to check that I had set up a direct debit for payment. "Yes you have sir" comes the reply. Excellent I think. She then confirms the sort code!

    STOP RIGHT THERE! Thats not my sort code! :doh:

    So now I also have to fill in a new direct debit form! :rolleyes:

    Wish I'd never bothered now! Would be so much easier just to pay 12.9% in interest! :rotfl:
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Things are never totally straightforward are they! I feel for you with all that hassle. It sounds as though their staff really don't know whats going on and for them to have the wrong bank details for you is weird, shocking really. I hope you get better service when you take it to your branch, don't let them fob you off with "oh you'll have to ring"! If still no luck you can ring and request to speak to a manager, tell them you only want the card based on the 9 month deal and they'll be sure to sort something out!!

    "Would be so much easier just to pay 12.9% in interest"

    Now hold on, that's a drastic thing for a DFW to say :rolleyes:, they must really have p*ssed you off :rotfl:

    It'll be worth it in the end, I hope its sorted soon! :)
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks kath. :)

    At least that one is semi-sorted! Just the outcome on the BA Amex application to go!

    I've got a bad feeling about this one. The problem is I don't really have a back-up plan! :doh:

    And another thing, the Amazon card was only 2% min. payment, the HSBC is 3% which is going to chew up the extra money I could afford to put towards the Egg card! :doh:

    I really feel like giving up! :o :wall:
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    I really feel like giving up! :o :wall:

    Now now, you know we couldn't let you do that! ;)

    Seriously though, everyone goes through tough patches when everything seems to be conspiring against you but it will work itself out in time. A few phone calls or a trip to the bank will sort the HSBC thing and don't count yourself out on the other card until you know for sure. And HSBC said maybe a limit increase in a few months so that might be at 0% too or am I being hopeful there?!

    Just keep posting and then you're not quite so alone in the whole thing :)

    Kath
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    kathfisch wrote:
    Now now, you know we couldn't let you do that! ;)

    Seriously though, everyone goes through tough patches when everything seems to be conspiring against you but it will work itself out in time. A few phone calls or a trip to the bank will sort the HSBC thing and don't count yourself out on the other card until you know for sure. And HSBC said maybe a limit increase in a few months so that might be at 0% too or am I being hopeful there?!

    Just keep posting and then you're not quite so alone in the whole thing :)

    Kath

    I'm not going to really! :p Come to far and put too much effort in to give up now! :cool:

    Don't think I will get 0% coz I'm meant to do all my balance transfers within 30 days! Have fell for that one before! My Capital One card was 3.9% for life on £10,300! But stupidly transferred about £2,000 after I had enough credit! Am now paying more interest on the £2,000 than I am off the original amount which is about £5,000! :doh:

    By the way kath, if you don't mind me asking, ;) , whats your story on here?

    I know alot of other peoples but know nothing about you? Your signature doesn't give much away! ;) :rotfl:
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    SS - sounds like the Great British customer service we all know and love :rolleyes:

    Hang on in there - they will sort it out at the branch after all you have it in writing!

    It'll be worth it. Keep posting won't you?

    LA
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hey there southernscouser

    Sounds like you've had a tough old day! Good to see that you're not giving up though. You are absolutely right, you've accomplished far too much to stop now.

    I hope everything turns out OK and a spot of good luck comes along soon :)

    :grouphug:
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • TweeyPie
    TweeyPie Posts: 13 Forumite
    SS don't mean to be nosy but have you contacted any type of credit counselling service? Are your debts loans or credit cards?
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    When you go in, how about asking for an extra month interest-free to make up for the hassle? Or go for a compensation/ex gratia-for-hassle payment.

    It's worth a try ONCE they have sorted the nine months of course!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    By the way kath, if you don't mind me asking, ;) , whats your story on here?

    I know alot of other peoples but know nothing about you? Your signature doesn't give much away! ;) :rotfl:

    Of course I don't mind you asking! I think I will write it all down, maybe start a thread with it rather than hijack yours! Haven't posted it before because it really isn't as impressive as many on here but it can't hurt I suppose. Would be interesting to read people's comments.

    *goes off to start writing the essay* :rotfl:
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.