We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Just A Quick Update!

Have finally found out that I've been accepted for the HSBC 0% for 9 months card BUT the credit limit is only £2,250. My Amazon card starts charging interest @ 12.9% from a week today and the balance is £4,401.13! :doh:

I've also got to spend £150 on road tax this month which for the first time in years I actually have!

So now I'm off to apply for another card but I'm torn between a low life of balance card or another 0% card! Anyone got any suggestions? :confused:

I did apply for the Nectar and Amex low life of balance cards about 6 months ago and was rejected but my credit file looks alot better since then. Is it worth trying them again?

Also going to phone Morgan Stanley and see if they can offer me anything good? :rolleyes:
«13

Comments

  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Southernscouser

    Have you tried over in the CC board, they may have more answers there.
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    $17mma wrote:
    Southernscouser

    Have you tried over in the CC board, they may have more answers there.

    I did think about it $17mma, but thought it might be being unfaithful to you guys! :p :rotfl:
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I did think about it $17mma, but thought it might be being unfaithful to you guys! :p :rotfl:

    aww you so sweet :kisses3:

    But seriously go for it kid you will get expert advise from the stoozers. And we will still love ya hun!

    But hurry back ;) and update us on what they say..
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    I think a lot of the 0% cards are lowering the time limits to 6 months now, they're catching up with the stoozers! So you might be better off with a low LOB card seeing as the time period is shorter before they whack you back up to a high interest rate.

    It depends how quickly you can clear it, if you think the bulk of it can be gone in the 6 months, take the 0% route. If it's sitting there for a lot longer than that, I think you'll be better off with the low LOB.

    Crunch the numbers and see which comes out better for you!
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well I think I'm gonna go for a low life of balance card. At least that way I know where I'm at and there won't be any nasty surprises in 6 or 9 months! :think:
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    I'm afraid road tax is £170 now.

    I would use the full balance of the 0% interest one while looking for another good deal. I think Barclay card are doing an interest free period for new customers.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

    ......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Rikki wrote:
    I'm afraid road tax is £170 now.

    I would use the full balance of the 0% interest one while looking for another good deal. I think Barclay card are doing an interest free period for new customers.

    Hey Rikki! :D

    Yeah I'm gonna transfer as much to the new card as possible.

    Depends on what car you have regarding the road tax. I've got a Focus and it's only £150 for the year! :D
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Hi SS I just tried for the barclaycard advance for my morganstanley debt but heard today was turned down..I don't know what sort of deals MS are doing at the moment but would warn you they just keep increasing your limit ALL the time which doesn't help (temptationwise)
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well I've taken the plunge and applied for the BA Amex card which is 4.9% for the life of the balance. Keep your fingers crossed guys! :p
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    *crossing fingers* good luck SS :D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.