PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Questions to ask during a house viewing

Options
Hello all,

My fiance and I are now starting in earnest on the house hunting and have our first viewing coming up. It has been quite a while since either of us bought a place or viewed with the intention to buy. The questions I would want to ask may well be different to his! So basically

What questions do you lot think we should be asking / have you lot asked when viewing a house? :confused:

Really just looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Snowy
:j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j

Comments

• Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Basically anything and everything that you feel is important.
  • elliebobs
    elliebobs Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    One thing to specifically ask about is the number of plug sockets and where they are situated. It's a small detail that is often overlooked but one that becomes annoyingly significant once you've moved in!!!! I speak from experience.
    Happy viewing
  • The_Economist
    Options
    What are the neighbours like.
    Has the house been re-wired in the last ten years.
    Has the house suffered any subsidence.
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    how much do you think it will be worth next year
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • giggity
    giggity Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really nosey, if the owner happens to be there I ask why they're moving out!
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Where the meters are, how old the wiring is, is the boiler serviced, is the loft boarded, what council tax band is it, how old is the extension/conservatory/kitchen,

Does the gas fire work (we've been told in the last couple "we never have them on and it's been disconnected" or "I never put it on because it uses too much gas")

What's the hole in the ceiling? Do you know that gutter leaks?
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!!

Snowy
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • Evee2000
    Evee2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    HIP and PIQ will give a fair bit of consumer information with relation to running costs, servicing of boiler/gas fire, insurance claims, building works etc. Could ask to see theirs?
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try to talk to the sellers themselves, ratehr than the agents.

Why are they moving? Is there a clear reason like wife expecting, need bigger house, or a job move, or something vague that doesn't really make sense?

They may have some cloud cuckoo idea of a dream house that they won't find and you will be hanging around for ages waiting for them to proceed on a related purchase.

Are they prepared to move out to let you complete the purchase if they can't find what they want.? Ask the sellers themselves this, NOT the estate agents. The agents always say everyone is prepared to move out when the sellers have only, when pushed said they might perhaps, if it could be arranged, and it really came to it, etc... For the agent that means they are definitely moving out.

Best to get the sellers to seriously think through the implicaitons of moving out - wherte they would stay - who would want to rent them somehweree may be on ly for a month or so if they haven't got friends of family they can stay with....
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    Where the meters are, how old the wiring is, is the boiler serviced, is the loft boarded, what council tax band is it, how old is the extension/conservatory/kitchen,

If you do ask these questions remember that sometimes vendors lie. I asked only to find out that the wiring had been replaced, but as a DIY job and not to IEE standards (came up in the survey) and that the boiler hadn't been serviced (found buried in the legal correspondence the day before exchange).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure