We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Saving Accounts...do they run a credit check against you??

13»

Comments

  • dollindebt
    dollindebt Posts: 71 Forumite
    I had the same question last year as I had wanted to open a savings account at Lloyds TSB; I had just enrolled with Payplan and did not want to jeopardise anything by having a credit check (looking like I was applying for credit when I wasn't). I was told they did not do a "credit" check, only an identity check for purposes of fraud prevention/money laundering. It's the same if you go for a Cashplus card. It does indeed leave a footprint, but nothing that will raise any eyebrows with credit scoring.
    Debt-free in May 2015 with the help of Payplan and MSE
    Lightbulb Moment: November 22, 2004 :idea:
  • browney_2
    browney_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    I opened a savers account with halifax. They do check your file for money laundering but if you check your file it shows up with the information about how many credit reports you have had. I don't think lenders can see this information
    Nice to save.
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    what sort of account browney? as i didnt think they did
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.