We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Saving Accounts...do they run a credit check against you??

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I want to open a savings account and wondered whether the banks etc run a credit check for these as I have had bad credit in the past and don't want any unnecessary searches on my credit file, even if for a savings account.

Thanks for any info received!

Welshlass...
«13

Comments

  • no not that im aware of as your depositing only,i dont see why they would need to but they would need to verify you .
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I don't know how true this is as it didn't happen to me but last week, a colleague went to open a savings account with Halifax and they credit checked her.

    She couldn't understand why as the account would be only for savings, no OD etc but they told her it's standard policy.

    HTH :)
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • kindanice
    kindanice Posts: 64 Forumite
    I opened an account with ING, and have a search on my Experian Credit File which states "ING Application Type - Identification: Money Laundering Prevention". It seems they were just checking I am who I say I am :confused:
  • tattooed_lady
    tattooed_lady Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    It doesn't count as a search on your file that lenders will see, it is just a check for money laundering and fraud prevention purposes.
    Mortgage-free wannabe!
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    halifax wouls not credit score someone for a savings account - anyone can have a savings account, as long as they have the right id, and funds

    she must have done something else
  • Bisoy
    Bisoy Posts: 873 Forumite
    I have just recently applied for a nationwide flexaccount but has been declined.I consider myself good creditor,has permanent job, no loans, pay credit cards on time, owned a house and live more than 3 years.My initial thought was surely you won't be declined for opening a current account!
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    That's very strange, Bisoy - if you haven't already done so, I'd recommend getting copies of your Equifax and Experian reports to see what's going on.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    going back to the thread about credit score for savings

    the only other thing i can think of is if someone does not have address id a secondary form of searching for voters roll can be checked, with equifax.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Unless you're applying for an account with credit facilities they shouldn't carry out a credit check. But, as others have said, they will often carry out a limited check with one of the agencies to confirm your identity. This will leave a footprint, but not a credit application search, which won't affect your creditworthiness.
    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

    Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • voodoozoe
    voodoozoe Posts: 531 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Well it seems to me that these days you can't even f*rt without them doin' a credit check first :D
    Laughing at my ancient signature...voodoobaby now 10 years old:eek:


This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.