We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Saving Accounts...do they run a credit check against you??
Comments
-
Due to money laundering regulations most banks building societies will credit check you, but i may not show up on your file as loan ect.0
-
It won't be a credit-check as such; it'll be identity verification and (possibly) to confirm the source of funds. The antimoneylaundering regulations don't require a credit-check but they do mean institutions must know who they're dealing with and where the money's coming from.The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.0
-
Just to throw a spanner in the works, they must do a check. I am bankrupt and no bank will give me a savings account. Other bankrupts have also posted similar experiences on here. So in order for them to find that out, they must have carried out a check. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see any other way.0
-
I'm just trying to think how they would know kevker - unless the account is opened and then checked later - then closed.
banks/socities open savings account everyday and credit checks are not really done - after all it is not credit0 -
Hmm - maybe you're right, kevker, unless they happen to use Experian or Equifax as part of their AML process. I'm not really familiar with the retail sector as I work in corporate banking where this doesn't really arise.The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.0
-
I applied for a cahoot savings account and got credit checked.0
-
but do cahoot ever turn someone down for a savings account?0
-
Cahoot turned me down0
-
wigginsmum wrote:Hmm - maybe you're right, kevker, unless they happen to use Experian or Equifax as part of their AML process. I'm not really familiar with the retail sector as I work in corporate banking where this doesn't really arise.
i work in retail banking sector, yes both agencies are used, when open a savings acc. well for my workplace anyways
0 -
they don't credit score where i work
how odd0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards