We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Debts & shopping - feeling miserable!!

Went into town yesterday and saw a beautiful pair of boots - just like the ones I have been wanting for ages. They were reduced to £60.00. Normally I would have bought them without a thought but I decided not to - couldn't justify the expense when I have debts of about £13k.
Can't stop thinking about them and at the same time knowing that it is not the right thing to do. Besides, haven't got the £60.00 anyway!!
I feel miserable. This need to be debt-free is great but sometimes the need to spend seems greater. Anyone feel that way? Aaarrrgghhhh!!!
«13

Comments

  • mom23
    mom23 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Hi i feel exactly the same, but regarding the boots, just look at it this way summer is coming and you don't need boots!!!(you might find they get reduced even further in the end of season sale!!)

    (Think i've just contradicted myself!!! :rotfl:)
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    You said that the boots cost £60 ... but if you are going to borrow the money to buy them, how much will they have cost you in interest by the time you've paid off your old debts and finally got the money to actually pay for them. Not such a bargain if you look at it that way!
  • Pigeongirl
    Pigeongirl Posts: 617 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi!

    I totally understand where you are coming from, I find it SOOOO hard to resist when I am in the spending mood...which is pretty much every day! It's like an addiction, you just keep on thinking about the thing you want to buy and start justifying it to yourself. I have sat down and changed my budget just so I can justify a spend but I know I'm fooling myself because if it wasn't budgeted for in the first place then I can't afford it.

    Still doesn't always stop me though.

    However, I always feel so c**p afterwards that it really isn't worth it. Just think of how smug you can feel if you don't give in!

    RESIST!!

    :rotfl:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No.11.

    "When the storm is raging round you, stay right where you are."
    Queen, 'Don't try so hard'
  • I SO know how you feel. It's rubbish isn't it?

    It's like when you're dieting and you eat something "naughty" - you always regret it afterwards don't you? And if you bought the boots you'd regret that too, you know you can't afford them and if you're honest you probably don't need them.

    Like was said above, summer's coming soon and you won't need them anyway!!

    Think how good and righteous you can feel by not giving into temptation :)
    Why is there always so much month left at the end of my money? :doh:
  • rkh001
    rkh001 Posts: 324 Forumite
    I know I will feel a lot better tomorrow, once I am back at work and not anywhere near shops. And you are right - they will not be much of a bargain if I buy them on credit. I suppose a couple of years of cuting back will then give me the pleasure of being able to buy things for cash. And won't that be wonderful!
    Still feel miserable but I am sure it will pass. Better do the housework to take my mind off them :-)
  • everyone feels that way- there's countless threads on this forum about lack of motivation, people feeling miserable and pressues people face to avoid spending money. i've come to the conclusion it's too much to expect people to do it all of the time- you can only try and do it the vast majority of the time. personally i'm tired of making excuses to avoid the pressues of spending money (e.g. not going out with friends; the countless collections/meals etc in work). it does pass until the next time. you can end up be accused of being selfish, not contributing to the team, alienating people etc . you'll also find sometimes there's so much other demands/pressues in your life that you couldn't care less about money saving- it takes a low priority.
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    Try to find pleasure in another way. Adding to your debt is only going to make you more unhappy. Surely there is some other way to get happiness?

    Personally, I get a great deal of pleasure from reading.....it costs me nowt because I borrow books from the local library. I can be entertained and informed for nothing!

    You have to get out of the mindset that says spending is the way to happiness.
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • Pathetic, get a grip, ooh those boots are so yummy, look how much more attractive I am in them!

    GET A LIFE.
    "YOU WANT THE CASH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE CASH"
  • Pathetic, get a grip, ooh those boots are so yummy, look how much more attractive I am in them!

    GET A LIFE.


    That's a bit harsh and not terribly helpful :angry:
    Why is there always so much month left at the end of my money? :doh:
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    ceegee wrote:
    You have to get out of the mindset that says spending is the way to happiness.

    I'm just repeating this because it is so vital.
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.