URGENT! help with Rossendales Bailiffs needed

Options
We had a visit from a Rossendales Bailiff yesterday. We've had problems with this firm before trying to intimidate and harass us being generally bully-boyish and unreasonable and threatening.

Now they do NOT have a WPO. We have never let them into the property. On the phone one of the people who answered the phone sheepishly admitted when challenged by my husband that without one they can't do anything. Until recently we had been paying them £5/week (we're on benefits).

The bailiff who came round the other day showed no ID, The Liability Order he showed us didn't include the amount owed or indeed details of the creditor (the council) or even the address (an old one) to which the debt relates to. He basically said we have until Monday to pay in full. My husband said there's no chance of that happening as we have no money and are on benefits. The Bailiff said he'd be back on Monday to remove goods. We told him that actually, he won't be removing anything as he doesn't have a WPO. He said he 'doesn't need one' because he has a 'Liability Order'. We informed him once more that no, he legally needs a WPO to remove goods. He walked away shouting once again 'I don't need one i have a liability order, i'll see you at 6AM on Monday morning to remove goods'

Now my husband complained on the phone to Rossendales about the appalling conduct and bare faced lies of the Bailiff and they said to submit it by writing/e-mail so we've done that and cc'd the council into it too (my husband spoke to the council about them taking the debt back and deducting payments from our benefits which we're happy about but they couldn't 'confirm' the action at the time or stop the bailiffs right now but they'd get back in touch. She sounded pretty hopeful though.

Obviously this will not get confirmed before 6am on Monday morning, if the bailiff actually shows up.

So I guess what I need to know is, are we in the right? He does NEED a WPO to remove goods doesn't he? and despite the liability order we do not have to let him in?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    send all the above details to Herbie21 in a pm. Her inbox might be full but keep trying.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• loubug
    loubug Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    The paper work was the usual form they use, just lacking in details though i do find the part that says:

"I will re-attend your property at my convenience and may REMOVE goods even in your absence" - this is pure misleading, as they don't have a WPO!
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    Herbie21 is the best person to give you advise, have a look at her site :
    http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• dotstar24
    dotstar24 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    hi. i've had a run in with a rossendales bailiff last month who was trying to con me. may i ask what council the money is owed to?
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dotstar24 wrote: »
    hi. i've had a run in with a rossendales bailiff last month who was trying to con me. may i ask what council the money is owed to?

And the name of the b*llsh*tting "baliff". Perhaps it's the same one Dotstar. If so, Loubug should ask to see his bruises rather than his ID... LMAO.

Dotstar's story is here.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1555365
  • loubug
    Options
    dotstar24 wrote: »

Salford Council.
  • loubug
    Options
    It was just signed 'J Shaw' Last time they visited we found the last bailiff very abusive, aggressive (though not so much physically) and quite menacing. Fridays Bailiff was just an ar*e and spouting incorrect powers that he reckons he has over us.

OMG @ dotstars thread ... *jaw drops!*
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    loubug wrote: »
    The paper work was the usual form they use, just lacking in details though i do find the part that says:

"I will re-attend your property at my convenience and may REMOVE goods even in your absence" - this is pure misleading, as they don't have a WPO!

And the "usual form" is what...?
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • loubug
    Options
    Thank you herbie! Luckily we don't have a car or anything outside the house and not surprisingly, he never kept his 6am rendez-vous he shouted at us he'd be keeping. Rossendales are such underhand and intimidating bailiffs.
  • cosmo71
    Options
    I know what you mean about the rossendale bullies. We actually have an arrangement in place with Rossendales and the 1st payment is due on 31/03/10. Today (25/03/10), the bailiff turned up knocking on the door. I didnt answer it and a nasty letter was put through the letterbox with a number to ring stating 24 hours to pay the full amount or they were coming back, at their convenience to seize goods and also charging another £70 for their visit. I telephoned tonight to find out what was going on and a very rude bully answered the mobile number given. I said the payment wasnt due for another 6 days and asked why he had turned up. He told me there was no agreement and when I read the letter with the reference number, he told me that the agreement meant s**t to him, he is coming back tomorrow to take my stuff then, not so poiltely told me to f**k off and slammed the phone down.

Since his rude and agressive phone call, I have spoken to the police who have informed me to ring 999 when he does come back, social services (who have told me to report him to the council and put a formal complaint in to the court and Rossendales) and Im also going to citizens advice in the morning. They will be lucky if they get a penny out of me after tonight........I cant believe their website describes them as polite, fair and sensitive. What a JOKE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure