Royal Mail Recorded Signed Mail

Options
I was under the impression that the Royal Mail Recorded Signed Mail service could be tracked online and a proof of signature could be obtained free of charge. This is not so the free charge stopped in 2006, there is now a charge of £2.20 for proof of signature.

This is not mentioned on the main pages of the Recorded Mail service. But can be found at http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400145&mediaId=22100380

I have a problem with an ebay item that was returned and it now looks like I will have to pay this hidden charge.

Comments

• Rain_is_Insane
    Options
    Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this but, why should Royal Mail foot the cost of your Ebay transactions? As long as the tracking site says it has been delivered, then that is their part done.

Unless of course it was delivered to the wrong address, etc, then yes they should refund the cost at the end of any investigation.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I may be wrong but I thought ebay just want the tracking number so they can check on the Royal Mail website to see if the item was delivered.

Try posting on the EBAY forum on MSE as they will know for certain and can help you with advice on returns etc
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My argument is with Royal Mail not stating clearly that there is now a charge for a proof of signature.

It should be stated on the Recorded Mail main services page and not a page that is difficult to locate.
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jazzy wrote: »
    My argument is with Royal Mail not stating clearly that there is now a charge for a proof of signature.

It should be stated on the Recorded Mail main services page and not a page that is difficult to locate.

So what did Royal Mail say when you challenged them about this..?
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • Ivory_Tinkler
    Ivory_Tinkler Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    You should be able to view the signature online and you can also print it out. Just use the track and trace on the royal mail website.
  • jazzy
    Options
    staffie1 wrote: »
    So what did Royal Mail say when you challenged them about this..?

I haven't challenged them, do you think they will do anything? I doubt it

I am just stating to others that there is a charge for proof of signature on recorded mail which is not clearly shown on their services.
  • jazzy
    Options
    You should be able to view the signature online and you can also print it out. Just use the track and trace on the royal mail website.

You cannot. The item is showing up has been delivered but no signature available unless you request one for a charge http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400145&mediaId=22100380
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2009 at 3:42PM
    Options
    if you want a proof of signature sent to you there is a cost
    the signatures are manually scanned and uploaded onto the RM site(unless the new PDA units are used) so there is a delay before they show
    then you will have an online proof of signature at no further charge
  • Ivory_Tinkler
    Ivory_Tinkler Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    jazzy wrote: »
    You cannot. The item is showing up has been delivered but no signature available unless you request one for a charge http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400145&mediaId=22100380

Yes you can because I have done this! As Custardy said, you sometimes have to wait until the signature has been loaded into the website to view.
  • Mar.cresham
    Mar.cresham Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    Ivory Tinkler is 100% right on this one iv used it myself for Ebay
    09 Wins= 5 Rugby balls, 3 Football. A cricket ball. 6 Books. A subway, A T.Shirt, 2 Durex Goody Bags, Beyonce tickets X 7 SETS A Magnum card. 2 glamour wins. Coffee, Jewellery. Moble Phone
    :A
    Be nice and hit Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family