Planning a hol in Scotland and like wildlife?

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Red Squirrels

On BBC radio 2 news today, they keep mentioning the plight of our native red squirrels. Apparently, they are reducing in numbers at such a rate that wildlife experts are talking about introducing a captive breeding programme.

I mentioned red squirrels in an earlier post. Your best chance of seeing red squirrels in Scotland is in Abernethy Forest, near the Loch Garten RSPB (Osprey viewing) hide.

Better still, go on a guided walk with the RSPB warden and the group you'll join will have many pairs of eyes to increase your chance of seeing wildlife.

When we go on our annual hols to Scotland, we stay in Aviemore. It is an excellent location for visiting the sites mentioned in my earlier postings. Contact the Aviemore Tourist Information Centre for accommodation information and wildlife leaflets and brochures.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Nile
    Diary dates.

May 5th: Discover Loch Garten, 9.30am - 12.30pm.

A guided walk exploring the exciting wildlife of part of the RSPB's most biodiverse nature reserve.

Adults £3, RSPB members £2 booking essential. Tel: 01479 831476.

May 6th: Walk with a Naturalist (Insh Marshes, 2 - 4.30pm)

Explore the reserve with a local naturalist.

Adults £2, RSPB members £1. Tel: 01540 661518.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    May 6th: Walk with a Naturalist (Insh Marshes, 2 - 4.30pm)

Explore the reserve with a local naturalist.
    I had to read this twice to check what it said
    Blah
  • Nile
    Diary Dates

Night Noises

Meet at Insh Marshes at 9.30PM (until 11.30PM) to listen to snipe drumming, warblers, spotted drakes calling and see/hear bats with bat detectors.

Adults £2.00, Children 50p and RSPB members half price.
    Recommended to bring midge repellent and a torch.

Creatures of the Night

Meet at Glenmore Forest at 8PM (until 10PM) to see/hear bats with bat detectors. Look for moths and listen for owls.

Mr & Mrs Nile will be returning to Scotland for hols (woohoo) shortly. If you are planning a visit and would like to meet up or ask for more info, send me a PM.

We have all sorts of equipment to see/hear wildlife. Such as a spotting scopes, bat detector and hydrophone to listen to dolphins.
  • kabie
    kabie Posts: 537 Forumite
    You are well equipped! Is it just a hobby, are you an expert? or both!
    For dolphin spotting is there are there certain conditions that make spotting more likely eg as the tide's turning? My husband thinks the sun has to be out but I think that's more for his benefit. ::)
  • kabie
    :-[ sorry I've just re-read your first post: question answered. Think the dolphins are just avoiding us.
  • Nile
    Read the earlier post for tips on spotting dolphins in the Moray Firth and Cromarty Firth areas.

It really is down to patience. You need to know the tide times because the dolphins chase fish on each incoming tide..........then they go back out to sea again.

Once you've spotted your first dolphin (whether from land or a boat), you'll know what to look for.

I am a mere amateur but have had many wonderful experiences watching (and listening to) wildlife so I'm happy to buy the equipment to help with my hobby.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Nile's post has reminded me of a great website for forest walks etc http://www.forestry.gov.uk/ We have only joined in with things in the Argyll and Bute area so can't comment about other areas.

We have done a bat walk, saw plenty of bats in the car park as we left and never saw any on the actual walk but we did have fun and the wardens had everyone playing silly kids game being bats :D We were provided with midge helmets that are made locally, bit like a bee-keepers gear and get very hot.

We also went on the walk to hear the stags roaring, make sure you wear wellies as you are walking through boggy areas :o At the end some of the kids were given bits of deer antlers where you could see how they are made up of compacted hair.

Neither of these walks were for the faint hearted as there was a fair amount of up-hill walking.

All of these walks are free and look out for the posters in local shops or read the website before you go. Generally you just have to phone and book as some of them they provide transport to take you some way into the forests.
  • kabie
    We go to Chanonry Point Nile and have seen them many times but in the last 6 months or so they really do seem to have been hiding. Last year there was an airshow and we decided to watch from this spot but in the end all of the onlookers were transfixed by a display of jumping rolling and general frolicking from the dolphins :)
  • KG
    KG Posts: 333 Forumite
    Spotted - a heron standing in the river 10 feet away from me on my way to work in Milngavie (just outside Glasgow at the start of the West Highland Way) this morning.

Who needs to be on holiday, eh!

KG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family