Ask a CCCS counsellor a bankruptcy question

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 12 November 2012 at 1:56PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
The CCCS has re-branded to StepChange Debt Charity and we've started a new discussion thread here

The Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) has several counsellors answering questions in our forum. There are three ways to contact them:

1 - To ask them a question please post it below and Pavan or Mat will post a reply here.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private you can send a private message to CCCS Private Messages and one of the counsellors will get back to you.

3 - CCCS's Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online tool allowing you to work though a budget plan and if you get stuck you can chat to a counsellor anonymously as you do.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• tordoff
    Options
    Please can someone advise me - I opened a basic bank account as entered an iva - a Co-Op Cashminder Account. I've since been unwell with depression and they tell me I went overdrawn by £1.61 and now the account will be closed, I don't know what to do as surely I will not get a bank account in my situation will I?
  • sieve
    sieve Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    You can try for a Barclays Cash Card account - I have one and I am an undischarged bankrupt. Bear in mind that you may well not be allowed the online banking though, even though they will give it to you to start with and say it comes with the account (mine was disabled a few weeks afterwards with no warning at all).

Cheers

S
    BR 08/04/09 | ED 02/10/09 :grin: | BSC 255
    I made it through! :grin:
    Don't ignore a problem. Unlike a bad smell, it won't eventually go away.
  • tordoff
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick reply. I have not as yet received the Co-Ops' closure letter but would Barclays not decline me as I got chcucked out of Co Op? Also one of the people I owed a lot to was Barclays with the iva - does this still reject me?
  • CCCS_Amanda
    CCCS_Amanda Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    tordoff wrote: »
    Please can someone advise me - I opened a basic bank account as entered an iva - a Co-Op Cashminder Account. I've since been unwell with depression and they tell me I went overdrawn by £1.61 and now the account will be closed, I don't know what to do as surely I will not get a bank account in my situation will I?

Hi tordoff,

You absolutely will be able to open a new bank account. I have attached a link that will give you loads of information on Basic Bank accounts. The information that you are looking for is on P. 4.

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Amanda
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.
  • Holes_in_my_pocket
    Options
    i seem to read contridicting info regarding benefits can you enlighten me please

is a war pension and incapacity classed as benefits in calculating a IPA

Thank you paul
  • CCCS_Matthew
    CCCS_Matthew Posts: 922 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i seem to read contridicting info regarding benefits can you enlighten me please

is a war pension and incapacity classed as benefits in calculating a IPA

Thank you paul

Hi Paul,

If your income comes from either benefits or a pension you would not normally be asked to contribute towards an IPA if you had more than a £99 surplus each month.

Hope this helps,
    Matthew
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • Lightattheend
    Lightattheend Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While waiting for a CCCS review of my financial situation I have stopped paying my creditors, the amount paid was under an informal arrangement as agreed with CCCS prior to repossession of house and setting up of formal DMP. I have stopped paying as I can't afford to any more and will be discussing BR with the CCCS, am I ok to phone my creditors and simply say my case is under review as my situation has changed? I'm starting to get debt collector letters again (only missed one payment on one bill!).

Thanks
    BR 08/06/09 ED 10/03/10
    BSC member 250
  • CCCS_Matthew
    CCCS_Matthew Posts: 922 Organisation Representative
    Options
    While waiting for a CCCS review of my financial situation I have stopped paying my creditors, the amount paid was under an informal arrangement as agreed with CCCS prior to repossession of house and setting up of formal DMP. I have stopped paying as I can't afford to any more and will be discussing BR with the CCCS, am I ok to phone my creditors and simply say my case is under review as my situation has changed? I'm starting to get debt collector letters again (only missed one payment on one bill!).

Thanks

Absolutely. In particular if you are considering bankruptcy is best to avoid making substantial payments to your creditors as this money could be used to help save for the fee.

Matthew.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • Holes_in_my_pocket
    Options
    thank you for reply
  • jennie65
    jennie65 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    I have been declared bankrupt and am still waiting on OR to call me. I have opened a new bank account with Barclays fully explaining my situation. I noticed today when I went in to check bank accounts online that they have just added my new account to the existing login details for internet banking. How will this affect everything. When OR gets in touch will they then shut down all accounts as they have appeared to link my new one to the old ones, will they take loan payment out of new account even though am bankrupt and loan is on bankruptcy. My salary is due to go in to new account on friday and now am a bit concerned i will get frozen out of my account and wont be able to pay rent and bills and groceries. I was limited to who i could open an account with as every other bank in my town said NO.
    I wish OR would hurry up and call then I could ask them.
    Bankrupt 15/04/09 Discharged 28/10/09

Debts £000:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family