🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Anyone booked TWO "overnight" return tickets on Eurotunnel?

Options
Hi All,

Eurotunnel charge ~£49 for a "day/overnight" return, and ~£150 for a "short stay saver" return.

Has anyone tried booking TWO "day/overnight" returns, with the intention of only using one journey from each return? It would save ~£100.

Their terms and conditions state:-
Failure to complete both the outward and return journeys in respect of a return booking will invalidate your booking and in the event that you complete only one journey in respect of a return booking, you will be liable to pay the difference between the price that you paid for your return booking and the single fare applicable at the time that your journey was made. Eurotunnel reserves the right to obtain from you payment in full for all sums so arising.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well you are really asking - do they enforce the T&C? I've no idea but wouldn't want to risk it.

Even if they don't, you won't have a ticket home on the second trip - your reservation will be cancelled when you don't turn up for the outward trip.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are about 10 years 2 late for this trick used to work when I first went skiing.
  • thumger
    thumger Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    uktyler wrote: »
    Also on your way home you may be refused boarding, as you have not taken the outward part of the journey.

I was thinking of using just the outward bound journey of each return booking.

For example, travelling to Calais on May 14th and returning on May 28th typically costs £211 if travelling at mid-day.

However, a "day/overnight" return ticket leaving from Folkestone on the 14th and returning the next day, will cost £54 (travelling at mid-day). And a "day/overnight" return ticket leaving from Calais on the 28th costs the same.

Using just the outward bound journey of each return booking represents a saving of £103.

I can't really imagine that Eurotunnel would refuse boarding as it's quite possible someone could genuinely book TWO overnight returns, and for whatever reason, be unable to complete the return part of each journey.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why don't you try using the ferry on the outward journey on a day trip pass which is about £25 and then come back on the Eurotunnel from Calais to Folkestone using the ticket you suggest (Bought return from Calais)
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thumger wrote: »
    I was thinking of using just the outward bound journey of each return booking.

For example, travelling to Calais on May 14th and returning on May 28th typically costs £211 if travelling at mid-day.

However, a "day/overnight" return ticket leaving from Folkestone on the 14th and returning the next day, will cost £54 (travelling at mid-day). And a "day/overnight" return ticket leaving from Calais on the 28th costs the same.

Using just the outward bound journey of each return booking represents a saving of £103.

I can't really imagine that Eurotunnel would refuse boarding as it's quite possible someone could genuinely book TWO overnight returns, and for whatever reason, be unable to complete the return part of each journey.

Well that gets rid of one difficulty - but the question remains whether they exercise their right to surcharge you for not turning up on the return legs. The T&C make it quite clear that they reserve the right to do this. You will have paid by card and they are quite within their rights just to charge the extra to it.

Whether in reality they do, I've no idea.
  • thumger
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    Whether in reality they do, I've no idea.

There's only one way to find out ;)
  • thumger
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Why don't you try using the ferry on the outward journey on a day trip pass which is about £25 and then come back on the Eurotunnel from Calais to Folkestone using the ticket you suggest (Bought return from Calais)

I'd like to stick with Eurotunnel on this occasion - one of my party suffers sick-sickness and what with the French fisherman blocking the ferry ports....

Excellent suggestion though, thank you. Definitely one to bear in mind.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    You are about 10 years 2 late for this trick used to work when I first went skiing.

I should have put a bit more but I did not have time, we used to do this but then they started to send letters saying you travelled breaking the T&C's here is the bill for the ticket you should have got we ignored them and the next time they just took the money from the card.
  • thumger
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    we used to do this but then they started to send letters saying you travelled breaking the T&C's here is the bill for the ticket you should have got we ignored them and the next time they just took the money from the card.

Thanks for the info. I've decided to play it safe and book the "standard" return - cost me £215 though! :cry:

Thanks for all your replies everyone.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I much prefer the Euro Tunnel, its so much quicker and convenient. £215 is big money, you must be going in a peak period.

This might help next time http://www.quidco.com/eurotunnel/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family