🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Meter Point Reference Numbers

Options
devon_guy
devon_guy Posts: 295 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I will be moving into a new build property in the next few weeks. Sadly the developer has gone bust so I am trying to sort out energy suppliers. I have found after several phone calls the meter point no's for the gas and elec.

I went around the property today and thought I could make sure they were correct by looking at the meters. However the meters only have serial numbers. As I am in a flat with lots of others, how can I make sure the numbers I have been given are indeed the right ones? The lady I spoke to seemed to spend ages trying to find out the numbers and the address and postcode didn't match what the property is etc so I am a bit worried the numbers won't be correct.

How can I confirm all is well so I don't end up paying for someone else's gas and electricity?

Comments

• tinkerbelle
    tinkerbelle Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was it through the MPAS system that you got the Meter Point Administation Number also know as MPAN?
  • devon_guy
    Options
    I had to phone transco for the gas one and phoned the national grid for the elec one. However it took ages to get the gas one as the road and postcode is wrong on their system and they wouldn't update it!
  • tinkerbelle
    Options
    If you have the meter serial number of the front of your electricity meter then phone through to the MPAS department of our local electricity distribtor. By giving them the meter serial number they will be able to give you a MPAN which will hopefully be the same as national grid gave you. They will also be able to tell you if the builders specified any supplier for the electricity.

The number that national grid gave you should start with either with a number from 10 to 23, can i just ask what yours starts with as that will allow me to tell you which telephone number you will need to contact.
  • devon_guy
    Options
    Thanks. My electricity number starts 22 and the gas 89.
  • tinkerbelle
    edited 19 April 2009 at 5:22PM
    Options
    You are in Sweb distrubation area, if you give there MPAS a call on 0845 6015972& give them the mtr serial number they will give you the MPAN which will hopefully correspond to what National Grid have given you.

Forgot to add, an MPAN is a totally unique number, every metered supply is given an differfent MPAN. So once you have got your MPAN off Sweb this number will only correspend to your property& you won't be paying for any one elses supply. I think that you the girl might of had a bit of difficulty finding you at national grid as new builds are notorious for only being registered on the systems as partial postcodes.
  • devon_guy
    Options
    What about my gas supply?
  • tinkerbelle
    Options
    Gas is slightly different, there is one centralised number to get your MPRN number for gas which is 0870 608 1524.
  • devon_guy
    Options
    Thanks for all your help tinkerbelle. I phoned them up to check my number and they say there is no gas supply to the property, yet before I was given a number. Hmmmmm
  • tinkerbelle
    Options
    Are you currently receiving gas & electricity at the property?
  • devon_guy
    Options
    I'm not in it yet. There's definitely electricity as I switched the lights on today. No idea about gas though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport