IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Unscrupulous stealth tax; is it legal?

Options
Hi wondering if any other councils have employed the same policy as my local one in South Kesteven, (Lincs...where dear mrs thatcher came from........) of having parking machines installed that charge as in our case, 80p for an hour, but don't give either change or additional time when you pop your quid in. Whilst it may seem a petty gripe over 20p, I am sure you couldn't get away with it in a shop; Can anyone tell me if it is legal?

On raising this issue with the council in question they simply say it is my choice and to take it or leave it and when asked how much additional revenue is extracted from unsuspecting motorists, say they don't know as the technology isn't sophisticated enough;
Yet another local stealth tax/rip-off if you ask me:confused:

J

Comments

• davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are you going on about?

Get some change beforehand.

• 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see why the hell you feel that Mrs Thatcher's ancestry is in any way relevant to your complaint. Anyway, I always make sure that I have a bag of change in the car when I am up your way. Having said that, I don't suppose that the Council mind too much if you overpay due to lack of change. I suggest that you do the obvious and carry enough change so as not to get screwed by South Kesteven Council in future
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jondaro wrote: »
    Hi wondering if any other councils have employed the same policy as my local one in South Kesteven, (Lincs...where dear mrs thatcher came from........) of having parking machines installed that charge as in our case, 80p for an hour, but don't give either change or additional time when you pop your quid in. Whilst it may seem a petty gripe over 20p, I am sure you couldn't get away with it in a shop; Can anyone tell me if it is legal?

On raising this issue with the council in question they simply say it is my choice and to take it or leave it and when asked how much additional revenue is extracted from unsuspecting motorists, say they don't know as the technology isn't sophisticated enough;
    Yet another local stealth tax/rip-off if you ask me:confused:

J

Are you saying they should just charge a pound because its only convenient for you to carry pound coins and then you won't feel that you've been ripped off?

I'm not sure its really their fault that you don't carry change.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • jondaro
    jondaro Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Are you saying they should just charge a pound because its only convenient for you to carry pound coins and then you won't feel that you've been ripped off?

I'm not sure its really their fault that you don't carry change.

No, just suggesting that it is a matter of getting what you pay for, ie more time......although from the previous posts it seems an alien concept to some.....

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    uktyler wrote: »
    Or you could petition the council to buy up to date machines

The machines currently in use (in fact all machines made in the last 30 years or so) already have the built-in technology to either give change or to extend the ticket duration pro rata based on the amount of surplus money put in the slot (i.e. if it's 80p an hour and you put in £1, the ticket could give 1hr 15mins parking time). After all, this only requires the same amount of technological wizardry you'd find inside a 99p calculator!

Councils have deliberately chosen to disable these features on the machines as it's very lucrative for them to pocket all the change - it means they can keep awarding themselves inflation-busting pay rises and gold plated pensions.
    but where do you think the money for that would come from?

Car park charges, or Council Tax?

Efficiency savings, perchance?
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    What ? ? ? I suggest you investigate council accounts more thoroughly. FULL accounts not just the budgets.
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    you seem to be having verb problems.

"I suggest you investigate council accounts more thoroughly. FULL accounts not just the budgets."

councils have external audits anyway.

Do you work for a council ?
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bristol have done this ever since I can remember, thought everywhere did.
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    uktyler, you have a strange view about the accountability of councils. As far as I'm aware we're not living in a dictatorship. Councils are our servants not our masters. They do have to operate within constraints and their behaviour is susceptible to judicial review.
    I don't have a problem with the council charging 80p an hour, and not giving extra time or change.

It is the councils car park, if people have a problem with that they can part elsewhere.

So, by that logic, you'd have no problem at all with them doubling your council tax tomorrow, or charging you a £10 toll fee every time you want to drive to the end of your road, because they are almighty and can do whatever they want?
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    taxiphil wrote: »
    So, by that logic, you'd have no problem at all with them doubling your council tax tomorrow, or charging you a £10 toll fee every time you want to drive to the end of your road, because they are almighty and can do whatever they want?

Nice straw man you've got there. Make it yourself?
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family