Refused Nationwide Credit Card even with 15k in account

Options
This morning I went onto my Nationwide online account to see if my had been transferred from my old Yorkshire Bank A/c, while online I thought
I would apply for a Credit Card. However things did not go smoothly,
first of all it didn't like the fact I was not working, secondly it could not
understand that my Yorkshire Visa card was in CREDIT by £0.37 and upon completing the on-line form I was told I was REFUSED a credit card and would be sent a letter as to the reasons why.

Now this has made me bloody angry. I currently have approxiamtely £15,000 split between my flexi account and e-saving account. I have
NO DEBTS, my house is my own, without mortage.

I only opened a Flexi Account to get the advantage of the free foreign transactions with Debit Cards when travelling in Europe.

Have the Nationwide always discriminated against people who don't work
for one reason or another even though they can meet the requirements of depositing £500 a month in a Flexi A/c.

Maybe they don't like people who pay off credit card to avoid interest charges. Never paid ANY in 30+ years.

I'm looking forward to ripping the head of someone at Nationwide when I get the letter in my hand.

Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

Comments

• nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought that no credit card would accept you without a job - even if you have savings in your account.

Probably best to wait until you get the letter in case it tells you why exactly you were denied (although I wouldn't hold your breath).

Are you sure you're on the electoral roll?
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    I currently have approximately £15,000 split between my flexi account and e-saving account.

These account balances have no bearing on the decision.

It's the way you handle credit that counts. If, for instance, you've held your Yorkshire Bank current account (or another bank a/c with overdraft facilities) for a number of years, that would help.
    I have NO DEBTS, my house is my own, without mortgage.

That may be part of the problem.

Bear in mind that potential lenders cannot assess the way you handle credit directly. The best indications they have are the payment history and credit limits on your existing accounts with other lenders.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe they don't like people who pay off credit cards to avoid interest charges. Never paid ANY in 30+ years.
    Nationwide would have no way of knowing that you've avoided interest charges on your previous credit cards.

There are any number of reasons why a given lender may refuse to extend credit. For tips to improve your chances of credit card acceptance, have a look at the *Credit Rating: how it works and how to improve it guide* especially Martin's *Manage and Improve your credit score* article ;)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-rating-credit-score#improve
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • LZL03
    LZL03 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I'll wait for the letter before deciding on whether to transfer the bulk of my savings and cash Isa's to the Nationwide or leave them in the Yorkshire Bank where I do have a Visa.
  • LZL03
    LZL03 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Martin's *Manage and Improve your credit score* article

As Martin says, even with my EXCELLENT credit rating the are no garauntees.
  • simon_templar_2
    Options
    If you have 15k why do u need a credit card?
  • Robert_Sterling
    Options
    LZL03 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to ripping the head of someone at Nationwide when I get the letter in my hand.

No marks out of ten then for tact and diplomacy.
  • Innocent_Guy
    Innocent_Guy Posts: 5,369 Forumite
    Options
    Appeal Appeal Appeal
    Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - £1000 o/d, HSBC - £200 o/d- First Direct - £500
    Credit Cards - Barclaycard £2000 - Silver Card £1300 - Flybe £7500 - HSBC £1000 - First Direct £2500 First Direct Gold £3000
    6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Back in 2006 when I was 18 and a half and not working, Nationwide gave me a credit card with no prior relationship. I think I was bloody lucky though! Only a £700 limit, hehe. But I was so chuffed to get my first CC. However, I did have an income and I could put I was a 'student' so not 'unemployed' lol. Are you retired? They might accept that as an occupation.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• Innocent_Guy
    Innocent_Guy Posts: 5,369 Forumite
    Options
    Kavanne wrote: »
    Back in 2006 when I was 18 and a half and not working, Nationwide gave me a credit card with no prior relationship. I think I was bloody lucky though! Only a £700 limit, hehe. But I was so chuffed to get my first CC. However, I did have an income and I could put I was a 'student' so not 'unemployed' lol. Are you retired? They might accept that as an occupation.
    Good piece of advice, remember you be a "homemaker"
    Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - £1000 o/d, HSBC - £200 o/d- First Direct - £500
    Credit Cards - Barclaycard £2000 - Silver Card £1300 - Flybe £7500 - HSBC £1000 - First Direct £2500 First Direct Gold £3000
    6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family