am i entitled to the sure start grant?

Options
Hi there I am a single mother of one with one on the way and i am panicking how i am going to afford the basics for my new addition. I currently work full time and i am recieiving woek tax credit and child tax credit. Just done my 2008/09 income declaration to tax credit office and they have sent me out an estimated award notice for 2009/10.

I am wondering if I will be entitled to the sure start grant from the government? I know it says you are if you recieve child tax credit at a rate higher then the family element (but i have no idea if i do or not)!

Any help or advice would be appreciated! :beer:

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    How much do you earn a year?
  • katey23
    katey23 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2009 at 7:24PM
    Options
    this year i earnt 14500 which included a bonus but my basic is 13800 before deductions normally. I contacted the tax credit office and they said to estimate my earnings for next year i need to take off £3900 as i am taking my full 39 weeks maternity leave
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    You should qualify for the Sure Start Maternity grant because you will be recieving more than the basic family element of CTC. You will also get the Health in Pregnancy grant. Good luck x
  • JoJoB
    JoJoB Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In calculating your earnings for this year do you know you don't have to count your maternity pay? This counts as zero earnings when applying for tax credits. Which will bring your earning level down enough to qualify for the more than basic element of ctc - which in turn would qualify you for the surestart grant.

My OH earns 20K and we just about qualified for the grant. Plus this year you can get child benefit paid in a lump sum before the baby is actually born, which should help you out a bit.
    2015 wins: Jan: Leeds Castle tickets; Feb: Kindle Fire, Years supply Ricola March: £50 Sports Direct voucher April: DSLR camera June: £500 Bingo July: £50 co-op voucher
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 April 2009 at 9:50AM
    Options
    JoJoB wrote: »
    In calculating your earnings for this year do you know you don't have to count your maternity pay? This counts as zero earnings when applying for tax credits. Which will bring your earning level down enough to qualify for the more than basic element of ctc - which in turn would qualify you for the surestart grant.

My OH earns 20K and we just about qualified for the grant. Plus this year you can get child benefit paid in a lump sum before the baby is actually born, which should help you out a bit.
    That's not quite true, only £100 per week is disregarded.You may find that you were not entitled to The sure Start Grant if you disregarded the full amount. I am not sure what you are referring to about the lump sum of child benefit paid before the baby is born because this is only paid once the baby is born, do you mean the Health in Pregnancy Grant?
  • shell_542
    shell_542 Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    Options
    You can apply for the surestart grant up until the baby is 3 months old, so I would suggest applying for it anyway and if you are rejected then you have your answer, but then once your tax credits are sorted after baby is born, apply again and you'll may find you are eligible for it then.
    August GC 10th - 10th : £200 / £70.61
    NSD : 2/8
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    The basic CTC is something like £15 a week. We got the sure start grant on a income of £15k a few years ago and the threshold for this usually goes up.

If you receive more than £15 a week CTC now then you can apply for it.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • howdidthishappen
    Options
    emweaver I am also wondering if I will qualify for the sure start grant our tax credits are paid weekly at £94.97 a week but part of this is for childcare do you know if I should qualify? Im not quite 29 weeks yet so cant apply but its playing on my mind about affording the things we need
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is your income?
  • howdidthishappen
    Options
    mine is around £6000 (lower this this year due to going on maternity allowance from september) and dh £17400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure