Tesco Points v Decent Shopping

Options
Dudes,

I've always liked Clubcard points - RAC cover, days out, nice meals etc - I've enjoyed loads of good stuff courtesy of the good old Clubcard.

However in recent times Tesco prices have gone up :mad:

A lot.

There are other supermakets who, IMHO, offer nicer food - but have always been more expensive...

...however today I'm faced with a dilemma:

Tesco food - now more expensive but with Clubcard points, or other supermarkets now on par with Tesco in terms of price but better quality and no points (except Nectar).

I don't know really but in the short term at least I think that Tesco may be losing me as a customer...

Duder

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am with you Duder. I only shop at Tesco for milk and anything I forgot at Sainsburys. Tesco is nearer so less diesel therefore cheaper for a top up.
    I had regularly been getting £50 in vouchers per quarter (unless there were "special" deals on, then much more ;)), but my last one was for £15 and most of that was by using the clubcard credit card for most of my spending and paying it off monthly.
    I really don't like T's now it's too expensive and much prefer Sainsburys. I think there are a lot of us migrating from T's.

MrsB.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • mrs.maverick
    Options
    I agree, as I now shop mostly at Asda. Tesco's convenience meals have REALLY gone up recently, and just before Easter, if anyone's noticed!
    Blagged: free samples of handwash from Molton Brown; booklet of walks from Brecon Carreg;
    Free Diabetes monitor, free bee-friendly seeds, a MINI coin and a splash-proof book from Radox.:T
  • Lilium
    Lilium Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I agree. I've shopped at Tescos for years as they seemed cheaper than Sainsburys, now there doesn't seem to be much difference so DH and I will do our next shop at Sainsburys...we prefer their food anyway.
  • Bella56
    Bella56 Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Yep. Probably alot of people only keep shopping there because of the Clubcard.... but it really doesn't pay anymore. I'm saving £20/wk by switching to ASDA online
    Debts 2004: £6000..............................................Aug 2007: £0!!!!
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Former Tesco/Asda shopper who now shops at Sainsburys online. Far far cheaper for our basket. And nectar points (and ipoints also if you go through mysupermarket). The only time I shop at Tesco online now is when they have a good beer offer on and I can combine it with a clubcard code that gives me more back in deals than the order value! :beer: Bur everyday shopping ? No chance!
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • babyx1uk3
    babyx1uk3 Posts: 1,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i agree its not worth staying there for the points, it is far more cheaper to shop at some of the other bigger supermarkets. Im very anti tesco at the moment as everything i usually buy has gone up and the deals are fake too eg:the other week they had a promotion on green beans but the only reason was they had halfed the packet size and halfed the price so in actual fact you werent getting a good deal just exactly the same but in a smaller quanity. Everything there is so fake and makes you think you are getting a good deal when in actual fact you aren't. A lot of people on this forum used to be all for tescos but like me now a lot of people are seeing that tescos isnt actually as good as it seems. Sorry ranting a lot today! x
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to shop at Tesco but have since defected to a combination of Costco, Aldi, local market for fruit and veg and occasionally Sainsbury's. I still get petrol at Tesco but rarely shop there, though do use Tesco Express for top ups if I run out of milk or bread.

This has lead to a reduction in Clubcard points and vouchers but I've saved in other ways. I recently did go into Tesco and found most stuff much dearer than I remembered, particularly fruit and veg.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    I believe if you shop through mysupermarket you get ipoints as well as the supermarket's own 'points'. In our case, that's Sainsburys and nectar points. IMO the Tesco clubcard deals have been propping up Tesco's market share for the last few years - now there's a paucity of good vouchers they are losing customers.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i couldnt care less about tesco points 2bh, id rather eat quality food, rather than expensive low quality food.

tesco for me now for brands on offer.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Just started using Tesco again because Asda, who are nearer, stopped stocking the cigars I like.

It was quite a revelation, with hardly any queues at the checkouts and staff who gave the impression they actually wanted you to be in their shop.

It's not all about price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family