MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give a stranger £3?

Options

Comments

• Loobeylou
    Loobeylou Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    Well dressed woman huh? She can afford to be if she gets enough £3 "donations"!!
  • Susan_Frost
    Susan_Frost Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    No, if she explained at the ticket office she could probably get a ticket but probably have to pay more, later, sign some sort of form.

I doubt they would leave someone stranded.

Even on the train the conductor would take name and address etc. I'm reasonably sure.
  • Money_saving_Martyn
    Options
    I also saw a similar scam on BBC's "The Real Hustle" and conseqently I'd be cautious.

Those of you who can afford to be scammed and lose £3 - glad you've money to burn! That's 3 meals worth of food to me!

These are my personal options and should be read as that - I'm not telling you hope you should deal with this!

Options I would NOT consider (on their own):

Giving them the money - it could be a scam. As people have said, £3 isn't much for a faire, he/she could walk.

Buying the ticket for them - I once bought a ticket at the station, had to change my mind about travelling at the last minute and was able to get a refund on the ticket at the ticket office, same day, no questions asked. Makes it more of an effort for them - but they could still get his/her money!

Any combination with a photograph - ok, so it might help the police if there are a number of complaints about the same person, but you wouldn't see your £3 again!

Giving them a lift - you don't trust them enough to give them £3, but you'll take them to you £300, £3000, £30,000 car so they can have that instead? There is a question of personal saftey here - be careful! I wouldn't.

Giving them personal details - you fell for it once, all they need to do is blackmail you at home!

Options I would consider:

If their purse/wallet had been stolen, I'd ask them if they're reported it to the police and ask for a crime number. Ok, any scammers who read this will now make one up in advance - but their reaction to this question could be interesting....

Ask if they've contacted a family member - If not, I'd gladly ring someone they know to let them know what's going on. I wouldn't give them my mobile in case they ran off with it. At least if it were a genuine problem, them someone who does believe them can organise a lift or other solution. I'd realy on family/friends before imposing myself on strangers.

Taking something from them - Ok, so you might end up handling stolen goods (beware!), but if they're smartly dressed, you ought to get at least £3 for either their jacket, coat, watch, shoes, sun glasses, belt.... on Ebay or in the local paper. That would be a real test of how desperate they are! If you do then have something you're willing to give them to contact you (mobile number, work telephone number) you could arrange to meet them to give them their stuff back for your £3. (Take a friend and meet in a public place) Do this in combination with buying the ticket for them and it's just getting too much effort for a scammer.

Just my thoughts..
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • tpsjrm
    tpsjrm Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    I would offer to phone one of their friends who could then help them out (if necessary!). At least you will have done something to help if they are truthful, or only lost one phonecall if they are not.
  • hollyshaw
    Options
    I'd give her the money. Even if it is a scam its only £3- barely a pint.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No I wouldn't. I would think it was a scam. Besides - there are ways round it. But buying the ticket for her, as suggested, would be interesting. I once bought food for someone begging for money for food. I don't think he was all that grateful!
  • mrwurzal
    mrwurzal Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    I would not give money. I am too tight for a start!!!
  • awehla
    awehla Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I gave a lady £3 or £4 once when her car broke down and she needed to get a cab, I can't remember why she couldn't just walk or whatever. She offered to pay the money back but I didn't want to give her my address. She even offered to get me a box of chocolates. After she left I wish I'd given her my work address to see if she would bring the chocolates, lol. For me it depends what type of mood I'm in, most of the time I'll say no I don't have the money.
  • Peggy_L
    Options
    Because there are, sadly, so many scams around these days I would not be happy to give this person the money. However, if the station were close by and I would not miss my own bus in doing so, I would go with the person and buy the ticket (and possibly wait for them to board the train).

I could be stranded one day myself and would hate to think that no-one would help me but there are just so many people out to con us out of our hard-earned money these days that we have to be on our guard.
  • digitalia
    digitalia Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I would think she was in trouble and I would help. Personally I have stopped for women (I am a woman) walking down lanes - if its been raining, to give them a lift, as i would hope someone would think of helping me if i was in that position.

I also was very thirsty when out shopping one day. Was in the car park with a drinks machine, (I am diabetic - so if i get thirsty its bad) I asked an old couple if they had a pund as i had no change, i offered them a lottery ticket that i had bought in return. The kind man refused to accept it but gave me the pound. I was extremely grateful to him and if this rings a bell with anyone (THANK YOU and its nice to see there are still nice people out there!) :beer:
    Out of a breakdown...
    comes a breakthrough! :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family