MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give a stranger £3?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you help out a stranger with £3?

A well-dressed, smart, woman approaches you on your way home, apologetically asking you for £3 for a train ticket. She says she has lost her wallet. You don’t usually give to people who ask for money on the street, preferring to donate to charity. Would you give her £3?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

Comments

• No... but if I really thought she was telling the truth then I would ask her where she needed to get to and buy the ticket for her.
    :p Proud to be a MoneySaver! :p
  • masna
    masna Posts: 2 Newbie
    No. This has happened to me at my local station and it was just a con. Masna
  • I would buy her a ticket to her destination. I might give her the £3.00 if I was in a rush.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • kittenpea
    kittenpea Posts: 215 Forumite
    no this is a scam it happened to me and my partner in manchester

dont fall for this dont give anyone you dont know money (or someone you might know and not get it back from)
    £2400 mb profit so far since 01/11/08

!!!!!!!!!I am a scrooge and proud of it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • boopydoo
    boopydoo Posts: 184 Forumite
    I would tell her I had no change and go to the desk with her- if she needs the money that badly she won't object. There are cons about but that doesn't mean you shouldn't help someone who is in genuine need. That's one of the problems with today's society, nobody helps anybody else and we are all too cynical
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anyone who's spent time in Central London will have had this scam attempted on them. It's a scam, don't encourage it.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Yes without any hesitation or reservation, because I remember the day when I stood poor and penniless.
  • Definitely a scam - well dressed-well spoken and all. Happened to me a few times - Looked back after parting with money and person has "lost their money" all over again. Why don't they not call a friend using reverse charges and get them to pick them up? And if they make a story up about an emergency and that they can't wait to be picked up, distrust them all the more!
  • No, I can't afford to give away money, and when I do, I only give to the charities I support. I rarely carry cash anyway (I can't remember the last time I had £3 on me!) as I put everything on my (cashback) credit card. Again, there should be someone they can call to give them a lift or someone they know they can meet. A £3 train fare isn't exactly hours away - what about jumping a taxi to a mate's/partner's/family member's place where they can pay the taxi at the other end?
  • PegasusPJ
    PegasusPJ Posts: 49
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If I have time, I might buy the ticket for them (though I'd suggest a bus), otherwise no.

but the people who say if it's genuine they could call a friend:
    I have NO friend in London that have a car... and all live/work way too far from where I work to be able to come give me some money easily..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure