Cost of oil central heating

Options

Comments

• smallblueplanet
    Options
    rslgb wrote: »
    ...my coal cost's £12.50 for a 50kg bag of smokeless and oil seems to be around 60p per ltr, coal is hard work but at these prices coal wins easy?

Blimey, that's a good price for a bag of smokeless. We now pay £19 for a bag of New Flame for the open fire. Is the stuff for a stove very different then?
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey, that's a good price for a bag of smokeless. We now pay £19 for a bag of New Flame for the open fire. Is the stuff for a stove very different then?

That does seem a good price for smokeless, I pay £15 @ "winter" prices for 50kg of Supertherm. Always try to buy your fuel when the weather is fine & dry to prevent paying for wet fuel which means you are paying for water.
    Some of the fuels can be burnt on open fires or stoves. A list is available on Hetas website and solid fuel website too I believe.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • butlinsbabekatie
    butlinsbabekatie Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 May 2011 at 9:20PM
    Options
    can anyone tell me the whats the lowest amount you can purchase in one go? do you have to fill the tank or can you get so many litres?

Also say if the cost was £1000 for the year to heat the water and CH, how much less would it be just for the water and the then using electric oil heaters instead?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    can anyone tell me the whats the lowest amount you can purchase in one go? do you have to fill the tank or can you get so many litres?

Also say if the cost was £1000 for the year to heat the water and CH, how much less would it be just for the water and the then using electric oil heaters instead?

Most oil companies have a minimum 500 litres delivery. You can either order a specific amount, or most companies will let you estimate and then 'fill up' the tank.

Remember though that the per litre price depends on quantity supplied, so if you order 2000 litres but the tank only takes 1100 they'll probobly increase the per litre charge.

As for using electric, very hard to say. I tend to use the emmersion heater for hot water in the summer rather than fire up the boiler, but I've no scientific/economic evidence.....
  • fancyabrew
    fancyabrew Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Most oil companies have a minimum 500 litres delivery. You can either order a specific amount, or most companies will let you estimate and then 'fill up' the tank.

Remember though that the per litre price depends on quantity supplied, so if you order 2000 litres but the tank only takes 1100 they'll probobly increase the per litre charge.

As for using electric, very hard to say. I tend to use the emmersion heater for hot water in the summer rather than fire up the boiler, but I've no scientific/economic evidence.....

Funny enough I'm toying with the idea of putting in an immersion coil in our thermal store for heating HW during the summer months, but I don't know it its worth it.

We have a Grant eco 25kwh boiler which is 91% efficient and a 10kwh wood burner which is 82% efficient both going in to a 700l JASPI thermal store, this then gives us HW and CH to 9 rads upstairs and UFH to the downstairs which is 31ft * 13ft open plan. We have a 1200l tank which I filled in April and we've just used the first measure of oil so that’s going to be around 120l in two months just running the HW, the HW comes on for an hour a day, but the boiler isn't running for all of that hour. Consumption wise the wife and I have a shower each everyday and usually a bath at weekends. Doing some quick maths that’s around 2l of oil used per day so £1.20 worth of oil at today's prices. So is it worth putting in an immersion coil? My plumber thinks it'll be a round £300 to install the coil in the thermal store, and it'll also mean getting an economy7 meter installed. I might have a play with the HW timer and reduce the amount of time its on for per day, currently the thermal store gets heated to 60 degrees at the top and around 40 degrees in the rest of the tank, so if I reduce the time the boiler fires for I could get the temperature down a little as 60 degrees is hot!
  • paceinternet
    Options
    fancyabrew, something to think about would be that the 2 litres of oil a day is worth about 20.8 kw. which at 90% efficiency would mean the tank is getting around 18.7 kw put into it.
    Maybe you are loosing too much of it through pipework and tank insulation?
    So how much would those losses change if the electrical immersion was directly in the tank?
  • TheSaint_2
    TheSaint_2 Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My parents 5 bed house , 2 bathroom, 2 reception, 2 kitchen (yeh i know..!) which is now very well insulated aside from rubbish windows costs £2000 per year in LPG !! (It was £1000 the year before).

So I would avoid like the plague
  • Pudster
    Options
    Advice required!

Reading all these posts, heating systems are no clearer than mud :-(

I am looking at purchasing a village hall for conversion to residential. It curently has electric wall heaters only. I've been looking into having oil fired central heating installed as there's no gas nearby. Then I read up on GSHP and ASHPs but am none the wiser - so much choice and plenty of advertising speil.

Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.

• scotsmart
    Options
    All I can add is that irrespective of running costs oil wins hands down for us in NW Scotland with NO gas supply it supplies an even heat indoors of 20 all over the house and piping hot water 24/7 which against my £1500 electric bill for our previous 1/2 size cottage on storage with NO control and precious little heat it wins hands down so far consumption v price it's working out about 1/5 cheaper all round but when disabled ambient heat is vital and thus priceless suits us to pay up front one less bill to worry over our electric bills are now about £10 a week against £45 ish making up the difference love it would rather have gas but until we can this system will suffice ( a six yr old Grant outside boiler and 1100 ltr tank) just wish I could get a supply of cheaper oil ;(
  • Silent_Dancer
    Silent_Dancer Posts: 193 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2013 at 4:43PM
    Options
    Pudster wrote: »
    Advice required!

Reading all these posts, heating systems are no clearer than mud :-(

I am looking at purchasing a village hall for conversion to residential. It curently has electric wall heaters only. I've been looking into having oil fired central heating installed as there's no gas nearby. Then I read up on GSHP and ASHPs but am none the wiser - so much choice and plenty of advertising speil.

Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.

Oil boilers are a reliable proven technology that are easy to install and repair. The installation cost of an oil system will be a third of an ASHP and a tenth of a GSHP. With a heat pump if everything is set up correct then you may end up with a lower unit cost of heat, on the other hand a poorly specified and installed system will cost considerably more.

If the heat pump breaks then repairs can be expensive as they often require refrigeration skills.

Some useful info about relative costs of fuel is on the Energy Saving Trust website. Also look for the 'ASHP – Should do better - Must Do Better' thread on MSE (sorry can't post links as I'm new.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure