does anyone know a good loft conversion company?

Options
we have had architectural drawings and calculations completed for our dormer loft conversion.

the architect estimated the total price would be around £14-16k.

I am looking for a loft company to have a look at the plans/visit and give me a quote.

does anyone have experience with a good loft company?
thanks

Comments

• Travelqueen
    Travelqueen Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Just a suggestion - but how about sharing the cost with a next door neighbour for example...

My parents are doing that at present (live in a semi), the firm is local to them though so would probably be little use.

However, is there a precedent in your street / surrounding streets? Is it worth knocking on doors and asking people who did theres and whether they'd recommend them?

Just a thought

TQ
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm using addaroom for my extension.They do lofts too. So far the service seems really good. I've only had plans drawn up and the contracts manager came over last night for me to OK them. I've had a courtesy call from them to check we're happy and read a really favourable report about the quality of their work. I've even asked them to put a penalty clause in if they over-run and they were happy to do this. Don't know if they cover your area though.

Shirl
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    Options
    my architect gave me three recommendations, had them all come round and give quotes and we are very happy with one of them....

due to start in four weeks time
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robnye, what was the quote you got and the area? I am looking to get a loft done this year
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • VH
    VH Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking to get mine done next year so if you don't mind, I would be really interested in some of the details as well.

What are the dimensions of your roofspace, how big is your house etc?

I would like to get some kind of rough figure on the cost before I get it looked at.

Cheers
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    Options
    i am in brighton, east sussex.

my house is a 3/4 bedroom semi detached, with a 15 foot long kitchen extension on the back. this means the garage is within the permitted 5 metre boundary,

so we paid £480 for an architect to draw up plans, that didnt require us to need planning permission. plus £128 for building regs, dealt with by the architect
    the room in the roof will be 16 ft front to back, 9 ft 6 across the back with a dormer, 12 ft across the front with only a velux window,
    a small side dormer to allow for the staircase up.
    with an optional ensuite. although due to having 3 daughters, we are looking at possibly having the doorway in the hall.

we had 4 companies round, 3 recommended from the architect and 1 recommended by a friend.

the quotes varied, but all covered the same basics, ie up to plaster finish, no fancy lightening, 2 included standard sink/toilet, 2 didnt.
    the range of quotes was from £24K +vat to £32K + vat.

the company we are going with, took us round to 4 properties that they had done loft coversion (and major building work ie extending), two had the owners in at the time, one was empty (being sold), the last one was one of the builders own houses (and his family where in)

ball park figures, depending on roof shape and changes required are approx £25K + vat,
    time to complete - approx 6 weeks

if you would like more info, let me know
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a loft conversion company in the NW London area that has done a good job for them?
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £14-16k for a dormer conversion sounds ambitious. does this include VAT, scaffolding, skips and building/planning regs? I would be surprised if any quote was below £22k.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Transactionumber
    Options
    I know of a good loft conversion company it's called loftsdirect ltd it's run by a very good friend and I know that he's very thorough and does everything correct no short cuts might be worth a try .Regards Leachy
    https://www.loftconversionshertfordshire.com
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Robyne - do you have contact details for the architect and for the building companies?
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure