🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Real ISA benefit?

Options
I keep getting told to use mini-ISAs for short term saving though I can't see the benefit. If I understand ISAs correctly then, if I take the money out of any ISA while I am paying tax then the interest that ISA accured will be taxed at a level matching my income tax. Therefore my money would be as well to be in an equivalent interest paying account as an ISA if I plan to withdraw the money while still earning. IF I plan to leave the money there until I retire then the ISA tax benefit is more worthwhile.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct or if I am misunderstanding anything please?! Sorry if this question is a common one but I couldn't find it being asked explicitly anywhere on the forum!

Thanks

Comments

• bagsacash
    bagsacash Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    The only real benifits to a isa is that its tax free, on interest and CGT.

Now were in the new tax year, if you can get a better deal with an ordinary savings account you would be better off doing that. Nearer the end of the tax year you can still open your isa and bung in you cash so you don't lose this years subscription.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your understanding is entirely incorrect. Do you honestly think everyone with a Cash ISA is wasting their time?
    Any interest you earn in a Cash ISA is tax free, whether you keep it in the ISA or take it out.
    Take a look at one of the articles on this site (look above) to find out exactly how they work.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I keep getting told to use mini-ISAs for short term saving though I can't see the benefit.

If you keep getting told that then you should change where you get your advice from. MINI ISAs havent existed for over a year now.
    If I understand ISAs correctly then, if I take the money out of any ISA while I am paying tax then the interest that ISA accured will be taxed at a level matching my income tax.

That is not correct.

Ray has answered correctly.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bagsacash
    Options
    Any interest you earn in a Cash ISA is tax free, whether you keep it in the ISA or take it out.

How is an isa tax free if you take it out?
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, come on!
    Do you really need words of one syllable?
    When you take the money out, any interest eared so far is tax free to the point of withdrawal.
    Let's hope you were trying to be witty.
  • bagsacash
    Options
    Not trying to be witty, but making things clear, a big difference.
  • angusl
    Options
    Ray / Dunstonh - thanks guys, that clears things up.

I didn't think that people were misguided (I suspected that I was in the minority!) but wasn't sure about the short term benefits, you've clarified the situation there.

Regarding the Mini-ISA comment, that's probably me just digging old terminology out of some slow-updating part of my brain! However you may be right about my advisor as he's failed to clarify such a simple point to me to date...

Thanks again.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bagsacash wrote: »
    Not trying to be witty, but making things clear, a big difference.

Making things clear? Can you clarify this for me?????:rolleyes:
  • bagsacash
    Options
    Making things clear? Can you clarify this for me?????

Yes, making things clear is to clarify - hows that?:rotfl:
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bagsacash wrote: »
    Making things clear? Can you clarify this for me?????

Yes, making things clear is to clarify - hows that?:rotfl:

Ha ha ha, obviously you are a bit bored..
    Otherwise I cannot imagine why you are wasting a valuable space on your silly witty comments rather then on actual advice to people who come here for that reason..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport