Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Healthy snacks for kids - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Healthy snacks for kids

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
274 replies 44.6K views

Replies

• Flapjack
    • add some oats when you make muffins and scones.
    • Cheese straws/Scones
    • Oatcakes, maybe with cheese.
    • Beans or scrambled egg on toast
    • My children always liked eggy bread and dippy eggs.
    • Pizza whirls - savoury scone mixture. Roll out into a long rectangle. Spread with tomato puree and cheese. (You can add ham, pineapple, mushrooms etc too). Roll up from the long edge like you would a swiss roll. Slice and bake as you would scones. They freeze well.
    • Pasta. You could make some basic tomato sauce and freeze in small portions which you could defrost and add whatever is around (bits of carrot, mushroom, sweetcorn etc) or if in a real rush, pasta with melted cheese. Don't know whether cheese sauce would freeze and defrost easily. Add some tuna and sweetcorn.
    • Roll up slices of ham with a cream cheese filling (might be a bit messy though)
    What do they get given at nursery? Are they eating what is provided?
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • katelukatelu Forumite
    117 posts
    Thanks for those ideas - love the pizza swirls idea, will definately try that! :T They have a full meal at lunch time (things like fish pie, lasagne, shepherds pie etc. with veg and followed by fruit) and they both eat those all up, but a light tea at tea time (sandwiches/pizza slices/soup/sausage rolls and a cake pudding)- I suspect they are not eating much because lunch is at 12.30 and maybe they just aren't hungry by tea time!:huh: As I am currently trying to redress my work/home life balance (am a single mum and work full time) - I have stopped working at home in the evenings and so am trying to free up time to "moneysave" as much as possible by making from scratch and freezing, but just have run out of ideas for kids snacks lol.
    :o
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    katelu wrote: »
    Hi all, need some ideas on some cheap snacks I can feed my kids after nursery. They have tea at nursery at 4pm but are starving again by 6pm and want feeding again! I have made some banana muffins and some scones, but anyone got any savory ideas which would fill them up cheaply (and healthily) that are quick to russle up (or can be made in advance).:confused:

Mrs M posted a recipe for bread sticks yesterday that sound good. In the OS weight loss thread
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi katelu,

Mine are always starving after school and need something to keep them going until teatime. Rather than let them fill up on sweet things I try to give them something savoury that will keep them going until their evening meal.

Some of their favourite savoury after school fillers are:

fruit: bananas, fresh pineapple, melon or grapes are favourites
    yoghurt: easy to reach into the fridge and pull one out
    milkshakes: whizz a banana or a tin of stawberries and milk with a hand blender
    pancakes: lovely toasted on a cold day
    pate on toast: this may not be to all childrens taste, but mine love it
    apple and cheese chopped up
    cheese on toast
    french toast
    sausage rolls
    cheese scones

Pink
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    37.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine have fruit, cereal, a sandwich, dried fruit or toast. I never give them sweet stuff as a snack, or crisps. Soemtimes they have cheese straws or sausage rolls
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2020 £47457.61 (2.41% int.)
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    37.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katelu wrote: »
    Thanks for those ideas - love the pizza swirls idea, will definately try that! :T They have a full meal at lunch time (things like fish pie, lasagne, shepherds pie etc. with veg and followed by fruit) and they both eat those all up, but a light tea at tea time (sandwiches/pizza slices/soup/sausage rolls and a cake pudding)- I suspect they are not eating much because lunch is at 12.30 and maybe they just aren't hungry by tea time!:huh: As I am currently trying to redress my work/home life balance (am a single mum and work full time) - I have stopped working at home in the evenings and so am trying to free up time to "moneysave" as much as possible by making from scratch and freezing, but just have run out of ideas for kids snacks lol.
    :o

I actually find mine are ravenous at tea time and need a big meal.. even when they've had a hot dinner at school. I do think mine are three quarters locust!

Mine have 2-3 bowls cereal for breakfast and toast.. then usually a packed lunch (sandwich, biscuit, crisps, fruit) for lunch; though they do sometimes stay hot dinners, snack when they come home then a cooked dinner and dessert some days.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2020 £47457.61 (2.41% int.)
  • debbymdebbym Forumite
    460 posts
    ✭✭
    Mine have a "picnic" at weekends to stave off the hunger pains. Favourites include
    Carrot sticks
    Apples
    HM bread and butter
    dried (uncooked) pasta (OK I know weird but DS loves it ;) )
    plain popcorn (buy it and pop it yourself no salt or other toppings cheap and healthy)
    raisins/sultanas/dried apricots
    leftover cooked sausages or pizza or chicken nuggets

Snacks are easy to get them to eat in my house - its the real meals that get left on the plate!
  • chumbasmumchumbasmum Forumite
    159 posts
    Mine also like the tortillas but happen to call ours 'steam roller' sandwiches.

eggy bread - with lots of tommy K

Potato waffles and beans

lots of toasted sandwiches and pitta bread

Any sort of sweet things get gobbled down - savoury take a bit more bargaining.
    I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat - Rebecca West

Weight loss 2010 - 1/7lbs :rolleyes:
  • My 2 year old daughter loves pitta bread cut into pockets filled with scrambled egg and cheese.
    The problem I have is my daughter loves anything meat based, my 5 year old son only really likes fruit/vegatables especially green ones (?).
    Luckily they both like pasta. So between them they get a balanced diet!
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bread sticks are :-
    • 150ml warm water
    • 1/2tsp dried yeast - i use 7g of fresh
    • pinch of sugar
    • 225g plain flour
    • 1tsp salt
    • 2 tsp caraway seeds
    Just dissolve the yeast n sugar in the water and throw into the dry ingredients ...nice n simple :T ... knead for a couple of mins -then divide the dough into 20.. usually about 20g each...
    roll into long sausages -about 12" and place on a greased baking sheet -i use a non stick liner ;) .. and wang in the oven at 220c/425f/gas7 for 10-12 mins
    When you are rolling them out you do need some flour but try not to use to much as they just slide about :rotfl:
    When mine are cooled i keep the wrapped up in a clean tea towel so they stay crispy..a bit like grissinis ...only nicer...
    I have done them with poppy seeds too, and today i have done the caraway ones and 1 lot without the caraway seeds and with 10g parmesan and 1 tsp of mustard seeds - they are rather nice -had to quality test them :o
    Hubby munches them all week -much better than the salted peanuts he used to demolish ;) and lovely with tzatziki and dips mmmmmmm
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j