Application for co-op cashminder account rejected!!

Options
Hi guys, just wanted to find out if there is anyone else out there who has been rejected for a cashminder account with the co-op.... I was under the impression that this account was for people experiencing financial hardship and even bankrupt people have no problems opening this account, yet my app was rejected...! I know I have a bad credit score/history, and I do have alot of defaults on my account from two years ago..... but I still cannot understnd why I was rejected, and the guy on the telephone could not advise me as to why! Anyone else in a smiliar boat....?
:confused:

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    I was rejected too. I only wanted the Visa Electron card for booking flights.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have any previous debts with co-op, or Smile, you will be rejected. Also if you have any CIFAS markers on your credit file, or are not on the electoral roll you will also be declined.

Have you had a look on your credit file to see if anything leaps out at you? If there's no reason you can appeal, they have been know to overturn their decision if there's something you can correct.

HTH
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • cifpower
    Options
    I have a CIFAS flag which is probably why
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It wouldn't necessarily be CIFAS they would also use other fraud prevention agencies. Such as N Hunter.

Furthermore you wouldn't get a straight decline if you aren't on the Electoral Roll it doesn't help you if you aren't on there though. I have opened two bank accounts without being on the Electoral Roll.
  • Shiku_2
    Shiku_2 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for responses.... I do have CIFAS on my account where someone tried to use my address to take out car finance...... would this be reason enough?
  • cifpower
    Options
    More than likely
  • Shiku_2
    Options
    BTW, I have no debts with co-op, and am on electoral roll as well...
  • Shiku_2
    Options
    BTW, is anyone aware if I would be able to find out if any fraud prevention agencies have info on me/what info they contain?
  • sutton111
    sutton111 Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shiku wrote: »
    BTW, I have no debts with co-op, and am on electoral roll as well...

Did you ask for the CIFAS to be registered?

If someone tried to take car finance out in your name, this isn't your fault.

I would appeal the decision.
  • Shiku_2
    Options
    Cifpower this may be a dumb q, but why would you wna use electron to book flights?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport