What's the best type of cash ISA for this...?

Options
Hello

I have a variable rate cash ISA that is currently offering a highly competitive 0.5%...

I don't have another £3600 to deposit at the start of the new tax year so over the course of the next tax year, I will be aiming to deposit money into an ISA as the months go by.

That rules out a fixed rate ISA bond where only one deposit is allowed at the start. What is the best ISA out there that will allow me to make deposits whenever I want that offers the best interest rate without the eyecatching introductory offers that drop after a few months?

Also, I don't particularly want to keep my money in the 0.5% ISA. What are my options? If I transfer the ISA to a different bank/building society will I incur a penalty for doing so?

Many thanks

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Compare accounts on the web FSA / Money Supermarket.

You can transfer cash ISAs from a previous tax year from one provider to another without having an effect on the current year’s allowance – and you can also transfer the current year’s ISA to another provider.
    Not all of the best-buy cash ISAs accept transfers so, if you are shopping around for a new home for last year’s cash ISA, you need to make sure you read the small print before comparing rates.
  • I_luv_cats
    Options
    Some deals out there, (a) If you don't make any withdrawals you get a bonus
    (b) Bonus for a year for a new account
    (c) Better interest rate if you have another account with that bank
    (d) Smaller Companies
    (e) If you operate your account on line/phone/post only better rates avail
  • d712
    d712 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Another alternative is this...

Close the ISA and use the £3600 to make a one off payment off my mortgage. The penalty for doing so would be £130 which I think is relatively modest.

Is this worth it?

Thanks
  • I_luv_cats
    Options
    Do you need some money for a rainy day / emergency!!

Is your mortgage where you link a savings account and then you could get the money out again?? (small print permitting)

Is your mortgage rate higher and you already have savings??
  • d712
    d712 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    My mortgage is at 4.88%, my ISA is at 0.5%.

There is no link between my savings account and my mortgage, they are with different banks/building societies so I would not be able to get back anything I use to pay off the mortgage.

What do you reckon I should do? I suppose I should have money set aside for emergencies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure