What should I do with my £3600?

Options
I have £3600 in my ISA and will be receiving interest on it in the next few days.

I was thinking of the two following options:

1) Do nothing, leave the money where it is and focus on using any spare cash to make overpayments on my mortgage. I can pay £500 a month off my mortgage without incurring a penalty.

2) Close the ISA and use the money to make a one off payment off my mortgage. The penalty for doing so would be £130 which I think is relatively modest. I would continue to make mortgage overpayments in the subsequent months.

Which is the best move?

Thanks

Comments

• kingmonkey
    kingmonkey Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    We need to know the rates of the ISA and the mortgage to know which is best.

My hunch would be to save 6 months worth of expenses and then overpay mortgage.
  • d712
    d712 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

My mortgage is at 4.88%, my variable rate ISA currently offers 0.5% (great isn't it?). I'm also thinking of looking for a 1 year fixed rate ISA that will allow me to transfer across the £3600 I already have and then hopefully make further deposits into it over the course of the year until I have met the £3600 allowance for the 2009-10 tax year.

My priority however is to make the mortgage overpayments every month.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The penalty appears to be over 3% so it would make more sense to move the ISA to one of the 3% or more offers available and to kept the mortgage repayments to the penalty free amount of £500 per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure