Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

Great ‘What to Buy at Costco & Makro’ Hunt - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Great ‘What to Buy at Costco & Makro’ Hunt

edited 28 April 2009 at 5:54PM in Shop but don't drop
1.9K replies 770.5K views

Replies

• I have shopped at costco for years now... big fan.
    My tips to successful costco shopping experiences...
    Costco has bulk buy of most foodstuffs and home essentials, so you either need loads of storage space or a big family to use it up. Most is cheaper because you buy in quantity.
    Costco usually only has one or two brands of something.
    The quality of fresh food is usually excellent. Beware with some fresh F &V that sits outside the cold room, they do tend to sit for longer in the shop and
    you occasionally get a bad piece. That said, produce that is returned for being bad before its date is refunded, no problems.
    Supermarkets BOGOF deals are cheaper than costco at normal prices and sometimes also when costco has vouchers.
    Their returns policy is second to none. Sometimes it is worth paying the little extra for the peace of mind of absolutely no quibble returns.
    Costco don't take credit cards (pain!) so you have to have cash or cash in the bank to shop there.
    Costco in the USA does take credit cards and their variety is huge! Costco membership gives you access to all costco stores worldwide.
    Your first visit will probably be the most expensive.
    Individual membership is about £30 per year but you can only get into the shop after 12.00pm.
    Hope that helps someone.
  • I love Costco - their returns policy is great! You may pay £20 a year, but if you want to take something back and dont have the reciept you can take it back anyway, they keep records of what you bought and the price you paid for it, so if its been reduced you dont have to take hte reduced price, you get what you paid!

I think the food there is excellent, their homemade fresh lasange is one of my favourites!

Their electrical items like TV's etc always seem to be cheaper than the high street, and you get a 5 year guarantee thru costco when you buy electrical stuff like that.

Well worth the visit!
  • edited 1 May 2009 at 12:53PM
    garyslettersgarysletters Forumite
    193 posts
    edited 1 May 2009 at 12:53PM
    I'm a trade member of both. Costco is much better. Makro is good for SOME offer deals (usually get loo roll there) and lots of their fresh food is cheap. (cheese, eggs, milk) etc.
    However, I find Costco, while a bit more expensive for food, is really top quality. You have to get bulk for most things, but its well worth it.
    Most common buys at Costco.........
    minced steak, batteries, milk, cheese, bread, yoghurt, cling film and tin foil (with a unique cutting system that actually works), clothes are usually good, tinned tomatoes/beans, fish fingers, kids toys, ....i could go on
    Other good one off buys.......main 1 is Tyres (unbeatable like for like), bird seed (though recently increased in price, still good), vitamins/medicines, good opticians centre too. The large "occassion" cakes are great value too.

oh, and we ALWAYS end in the cafe.......remarkable value for everything.
    Dont forget to sample the food........and the coffee and cakes at the door most weekend mornings are lovely.

I love the place, but can never get out without spending over £100, even if only going for 1 thing.
    Anything I write is based on my opinion only. Before acting upon any advice from anyone on a forum further professional advice should be sought.
  • My wife has contact lenses and buys her lens cleaner from costco as the savings are unreal! She uses OptiFree cleaner which comes in a 300ml bottle, one of which would cost over a tenner in Boots. U get a pack of 4 in costco for 22 quid! I love the frozen prawns which are about 9 quid for 908g. Not bad considering you'll pay about £3 for 200g in tesco.
  • I think the membership is worth it.
    It has the benefit of the supermarket with everything under one roof, and the quality and prices are better.
    The after sales is spot on - if its faulty and its not your fault theres no quibble - after spending many a saturday afternooon tearing my hair out at comet/asda customer services I wouldn't buy anywhere else, be it a toaster a kettle or our recent 2 grand telly. Saw the telly for £160 cheaper in Comet - but worth the warranty and excellent customer service to go to costco!

I can vouch that the meat is fantastic ! defo try the meat.

The cakes are heaven - but you have to buy a large pack, which has equated to a large waist for me - but ah well.

The contact lens solution and glasses are great too - half the price of the supermarket/opticians

Overall i think i am defo a convert ! lol
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • AnyAny Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    HI,
    My sister has a business and she gets me and our brother to have a card on her business and it costs us £14.
    I easily save that - especially when we have a party!
    You pay easily £2 for small pack of salami in supermarket - or £3 for huge pack in Cosco. And trust me - nothing goes faster and is easier for a party then salami/cheese plate.
    Prawns - 1kg of raw prawns for £7.99 (frozen-without tail). where you pay £10+ in supermarket when they have special offer on and those prawns are not raw.

Also big packs of musli bars for work.

As someone else said - cakes (again, great for party) and pre-baked baguettes.

And when we go, we have a jacket potato in our Cosco - £1.29 for huge potato and huge hill of the most delicious tuna mayo!

From meat I am big fan of their pork loin. I am yet to try their chicken.

And who cares it's huge packs - I always find someone to share other half of pack with me!!
  • COSTCO - meat is fantastic quality and I've not found it dearer than elsewhere. Their birthday/celebration cakes are also top notch. Kirkland brand Ibuprofen + own brand vitamins excellent too. The regular special offers are well worth investigating. 100 blank CD's for £10 + VAT and 1000 blank DVD's for £15 + VAT.

MAKRO - at the Leeds branch if you have a police ID card (uniform or civilian) you can shop there as well.
  • edited 29 April 2009 at 12:23PM
    Sami_BeeSami_Bee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    edited 29 April 2009 at 12:23PM
    I'm a costco member
    I save on membership by going halves with my Mum as you get a free spouse card which doesn't have to be an actual spouse :)
    When they have them their Cherries are usually 1/2 supermarket price
    Stamps are often cheaper
    I'm better at what to avoid tho; branded toiletries are almost always the same price as in boots ie. expensive!
    branded Crisps like walkers are usually cheaper on offer in supermarkets as are Nappies.
    They have kids caymen crocs for £15ish at the mo but they are mostly £10 inc p&p on ebay

My best bargain ever was a massive paddling pool pirate ship it has a slide, trampoliney bit, treasure chest, 2 hats, 2swords, etc.. all for £10 inc VAT :T

edit: I like to go on a Saturday morning for maximum free sample tasting too ;) we call it a costco buffet
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • Sami_BeeSami_Bee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Costco don't take credit cards (pain!) so you have to have cash or cash in the bank to shop there.
    Costco in the USA does take credit cards and their variety is huge! Costco membership gives you access to all costco stores worldwide.
    Your first visit will probably be the most expensive.
    Individual membership is about £30 per year but you can only get into the shop after 12.00pm.
    Hope that helps someone.
    How do I pay?We accept payment in cash, cheques and Delta / Switch cards.

Only on weekdays
    Monday - Friday
    Trade Members 10:00am - 8:30pm
    Individual Members 12:00pm - 8:30pm
    Saturdays
    9:30am -6:00pm
    Sundays
    11:00am - 5:00pm

(Bank Holidays 10:00am - 6:00pm)
    Closed (Dec 25th,26th, Jan 1st and Easter Sunday

I'm pretty sure individual membership is lass than £30 too

The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • Their pizzas are lovely and can be cut up at home if you have teenagers they can take it out of freezer and cook Brill:j or instead of spending money on takeaway £5.99 for a pizza Spicey Chicken :D
    Pads1966:footie: