🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Updated HRMC with final figures and payments not as expected??

Options
Hi

I updated CTC with my end of year figures (based on end March Salaries) expecting a substantial lump sum would be due to me as my salary was significantly lower due to Maternity Leave. However, although I am getting a one off payment of £200 (for which I am very grateful), no real difference in my monthly amount.

I am aware that baby will be one soon which will mean a reduction but even allowing for that it's lower. My figures put into entitledto.com and HRMC calculator come out showing we are entitled to just under 13,000 yet the amounts I have been told I will be getting will mean the final figure will be just under 8,000.

We earnt £25,532 in this tax year, have 3 children and our Childcare weekly averages £220.

I would be grateful if somone could tell me if it looks like HRMC are wrong in their calculations or that I am dumber than I think :o

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tamsin1982
    tamsin1982 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    did you deduct £100 for every week you were on maternity leave off of your income?
  • machairs
    machairs Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the figures quoted include the deduction of 3200 for the 32 weeks on ML. Total figure for last year and which our payments have been based on until I updated them last week was £29651
  • LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    Options
    Tax credits will still be using the 2008/09 allowances for 2009/10 - it will change only after the current year has been finalised and the 2009/10 rates have been authorised by parliament.

The increases for 2009/10 were announced before christmas, normally the political machinery (finance bill) authorising these increases goes through parliament in late March - this year it will be late April.
  • machairs
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Still confused as to why the amounts paid differ so greatly from the online calculator but will wait for the paperwork to come through to double check it. On the day I updated, I gave the wrong figure for my final taxable salary and when I realised my mistake, called them back to change it. I wonder whether they have added the 2 figs together?
  • shellnapier
    shellnapier Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    what are the increases going to be my mam said the news siad alot about tibut i nissed it
    "Lifes a climb - but the view up in fantastic"
    Gina Shoe Challange - £150 14 days - day1 £3.01
  • shellnapier
    shellnapier Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    PS U get alot
    last tax yr me n my oh made 19000 and have 1 girl 2year and only get 2000
    "Lifes a climb - but the view up in fantastic"
    Gina Shoe Challange - £150 14 days - day1 £3.01
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You may have a 'potential payment' that will not be released until you have completed your annual declaration form.

Check your award as it will detail any potential payments.
  • machairs
    Options
    Thanks for this info. If that is the case, all becomes clear now.
  • hotblu
    hotblu Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may have a 'potential payment' that will not be released until you have completed your annual declaration form.

Check your award as it will detail any potential payments.

Hello,

Just to say subsoniccoyote is right. By the sounds of it becasue you had a reduction in your income in the last tax year you will have a potential payment. Although you have provided your actual income for 08/09 based on your March 09 payslips, it will still show as an estimate. You will have to give the figures again (only once you have recieved your Annual Decleration Pack) and then the system will accept as actual.

HTH

Hotblu
  • machairs
    Options
    I received my paperwork today and it has a potential payment listed. I've checked it and all seems in order. Amount due doesn't match what the online calculator said but heyho. Just need to wait for the annual declaration to come in now and finalise it all.

Thanks for all the useful info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family