am i right mediun risk isa

Options
have £14000 invested in clydesdale medium risk isa.On my last 6 month statement it was down to £10000 have I actually lost £4000 cash or has my money bought shares which have dropped but if say the market picks up will gain again please advice

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    have £14000 invested in clydesdale medium risk isa

That doesnt tell us what it is. It just gives us the provider, the tax wrapper and the risk profile used.
    On my last 6 month statement it was down to £10000 have I actually lost £4000 cash

You havent lost £4000 cash as its not invested in cash. A loss of 28% is consistent with medium risk range.
    has my money bought shares which have dropped but if say the market picks up will gain again

You will need to tell us your investment funds. We cant tell what you have from what you have said. I am concerned you know nothing about your investment though. However, it doesnt surprise seeing as you bought from a bank sales rep.
    please advice

See a real adviser and not a sales rep when seeking advice. In the mean time give us your investment funds so we can comment on the risk.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In general you can expect the value to recover when the markets recover. It's a loss if you were to need all of the money immediately. Mostly it's just the normal ups and downs of the markets.

There are a few exceptions but that's probably what will be said once we know more about the exact investments that you have.

The ups and downs are a key part of why you tend to do better long term with investing rather than saving: to accept the risk the companies that use the markets have to on average pay you more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure